Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
Site Team

Garage
ABS question

The shop replaced my brake fluid the other day at my request for maintenance. Pads are fine but the fluid was a bit discolored. In the last year I've been seeing the ABS light go on and of at random times. The shop scanned it and said the relay had to be reset. After the work was done the ABS light came back on after about 50 miles. The guys at my work shop said they thought it was simply a dirty rear sensor. The shop that did the work said they didn't check the sensor cause it never showed up on the scan,

So my questions are:
On a 2006 SMB 4x4 conversion, does it have a single sensor in the diff or does it have sensors in the rear wheels?

One thing I'm wondering is I'm getting some chatter out of the rear diff. I'm scheduled to do a gear oil & additive change but just wonder if the ABS light coming on might have something to do with a dirty sensor if indeed it in in the rear diff housing and the oil is dirty. Possible?

Also SMB told me some time back that an LSD has a limited life. What is their lifetime span?

I've only got 92K on the vehicle.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #2

Re: ABS question

It's a single rear speed sensor, mounted on top of the diff.

I've had mine sludge up with clutch pack debris. Several times. Just needs to be wiped off. Even with the amount of sludge I've cleaned off, the limited slip still works very well. I've got about 110,000 miles on my current clutches. Set before that got swapped out after 60,000 miles after I split the diff carrier.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Thanks, that was just what I was after. The last time I had the gear oil changed I doubt the sensor was cleaned.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #4

The rear sensors do go bad as well, apparently earlier and more frequently than the front ones. They are however fairly cheap and quick/easy to change. The fronts are under the rotors, so still easy, but not quick.

I'd clean the rear sensor and then, if that doesn't do it, get the brake shop to read the code(s).

In my experience it took about 5 miles for all the tests to complete.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #5

I also had my rear speed sensor wire break internally from flexing, somewhere between the frame rail and sensor. Computer was giving an "open circuit" code, as opposed to the other code it throws when the sensor is fouled up ("out of range" if IIRC). Wrecking yard replacement did the trick.

point is... still might want to pull the ABS codes...
Old 08-18-2015, 03:53 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Also had an issue with the rear center differential speed sensor which triggered my ABS light. Here's an image of the before/after:

Once cleaned and reinstalled ABS light went out, never had another issue in over 20K miles driving since.

The wiring harness connector leading into the sensor can/does become age embrittled, the locking tabs breaking away without even touching it. This could cause intermittent connection which would also trigger the ABS light.

If the sensor is replaced with new or simply removed and cleaned a dab of dielectric grease inside the terminal housing would be a good idea.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Yeah there were no codes and why the shop didn't pull it but will next week. The rear end is chattering and may need more additive. It.s about time to replace the gear oil anyway and the sensor has never been pulled and cleaned in 92K miles.