Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #1

Garage
Am I making a mistake?

I see almost all 4x4 E350's seem to be V-10 or diesel. Would I be making a mistake if I bought a 2006 E-350 4x4 Sportsmobile with a v-8??

What are the negatives on the engine?

Thanks everyone in advance!

-John

vanderpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Am I making a mistake?

Only downside is less power... Which really only matters if you plan to tow with it.
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #3

The V-8 has plenty of power as long as you aren't towing a big trailer.

Bigger engines make more power, most everyone wants more. Full size vans and pickups used to get by just fine with sixes. In the 50's, GMC semis ran mostly fours and sixes. Of course, the were slow to get up to speed.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderpooch
I see almost all 4x4 E350's seem to be V-10 or diesel. Would I be making a mistake if I bought a 2006 E-350 4x4 Sportsmobile with a v-8??

What are the negatives on the engine?

Thanks everyone in advance!

-John
I don't think you would be making a mistake, unless you bought the diesel and you aren't prepared for the maintenance. They are expensive to own, which some can justify with the power/torque benefit. I think the ideal SMB is the V10 but I've had a 5.4 that was right at 10,000 lbs. and it did fine. The only downfall with the V8 in such a big vehicle is it works more so you get about the same fuel mileage as the v10. If the rest of the van is what you want I would say go for it. It will get you around just fine.

Good luck, and tell us more if you like

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #5

I had a 1997 E-250 SMB with the 5.4 V8. Loved the engine, no problems, a friend is still running it with over 150k. The SMB alone (loaded) weighs around 7,600# and I towed a 4,600# trailer with 350# of tongue weight. Cross country, over mountain passes, etc. 16-18 mpg when not towing, 12mpg when towing, and just a bit over 12 around town.

I didn't go over those passes towing at 65mph, but then I don't do it now with the V-10 either (different vehicle). I also don't really want to. No problem with speed in normal operations.

I don't think the E-350 vs. E-250 makes any inherent difference, but I'd think a 4WD van would be heavier. Also bigger tires and pushing more wind. OTOH, unless you are going to tow heavy, you shouldn't be any heavier than I was at ~12,500# gross combined.

I like the 6.8 V-10 I have now, but there are disadvantages over my 5.4 V-8. For one thing, the doghouse (and therefore me) seem to get hotter. Also, if the exhaust manifold studs go, I have two more cylinders. Mileage is not as good (although my current gross combined is 15,000# and taller, so I'm also pulling more).

Anyway, not exactly apples to apples, but maybe it helps some.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I'm a big fan of the 5.4l and would only opt for the V10 is I was going to be towing 5,000 pounds or more. I own both.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #7

I have the 5.4L and I'm happy with it. E350 4X4 occasionally tow a small motorcycle trailer....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:39 PM   #8

Any plans to drive over the mountain passes (even not towing)?

I think with a full built out SMB interior, penthouse top etc etc, (e.g. 9500lb+ curb weight) you really need the V10 or diesel.

If you've got a van you're building up not with a full interior conversion, I could see the 5.4 being an ok option.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
The only downfall with the V8 in such a big vehicle is it works more so you get about the same fuel mileage as the v10. If the rest of the van is what you want I would say go for it. It will get you around just fine.

X2

I have the V10 with 4.56 gears (and Banks and a tuner) and my dad has a stock 5.4L with 3.55 gears. Mine is faster towing a trailer than his is empty (off the line and hill climbing speed). Hook a trailer to his, or put the safari rack on, and he gets the same gas milage I do. But empty, his gets 17 MPG to my 12.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:52 AM   #10

Garage

Thanks for all the replies!

Here's the van in question. Maybe someone knows it?

http://www.sportsmobile.com/inventory-d ... ory_id=408

it's a much lighter interior design which would help but I would be planning on putting an alluminess rear bumper with tire carrier and box. Possibly slightly bigger tires and a ujoint front bumper (eventually?)

I don't plan on doing any towing. I would be on the bigger mountain passes when traveling for sure but it won't be a daily driver. More weekend trips in the south east and then twice a year out west. We don't do a lot of extended camping. More bob tailing around from one place to the next so we are really just looking for a tent on wheels with basic camping supplies. I come from a backpacking mentality so we are pretty minimalist with packing the van. I'm sure even the V-8 will be a world of difference from my syncro but thats the point is that we are looking for something that is better at highway flying. 2 days of motoring to get anywhere worthwhile from here

Any thoughts on the van?

-John
vanderpooch is offline   Reply With Quote