Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #1

Extended Warranty Question "United Car Care"

Has anybody had an experience with a United Car Care Extended Warranty? The finance manager at the local Ford dealership has offered the UCC Platinum Coverage plan as an option for my 2006 E350 6.0 L Diesel SMB for pretty much total coverage for 5 years from today / 100,000 total miles for about $1850. My rig is only at just over 25,000 miles and no major problems yet (except for a warranty turbo replacement before I bought it), but is off of the original Ford Warranty due to its age. He said that the extended warranty from Ford wouldn't work since they run from the expiration date of the standard warranty. I usually don't buy extended warranties on anything, but after reading all of the expensive 6.0 L Diesel horror stories on the forum, I'm wondering if the UCC Platinum coverage might be a good idea?

'06 Ford 6.0 PSD E350 4x4 RB50 Customized SMB w/penthouse, Aluminess Bumpers & roof playpen. All Diesel & Electric: Espar Hydronic Heat, Wallas Catalytic Hot Plate Stove, VitriFrigo 12v Fridge, Dieselsite & Amsoil Filtration,.. and my other RV is a BMW R1200GS.
AKSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #2

Re: Extended Warranty Question "United Car Care"

Is it an "Exclusionary" warranty where it lists what is NOT covered? That's the type of warranty you would want so that you can see exactly what they will not cover. You'll want to read through the fine print though incase there are other stipulations on claims.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #3

Yes, the UCC Platinum Coverage level is an "exclusionary coverage" which says that "All Parts and Components of the vehicle are covered, including electronics," Except for Adjustments, Battery Cables, Belts & Hoses, Tune-up items, Brake pads & shoes, Carpet & Upholstery, Paint, and Glass. (I only have a brochure, not an actual contract) It looks like pretty comprehensive coverage, but I'm mostly concerned about covering the potential huge dollar engine and transmission issues. It talks about "covering expensive and unexpected repair costs" but I don't see the word "labor" mentioned anywhere, one way or the other. Humm?,.. Maybe it is only covering the cost of the parts?
'06 Ford 6.0 PSD E350 4x4 RB50 Customized SMB w/penthouse, Aluminess Bumpers & roof playpen. All Diesel & Electric: Espar Hydronic Heat, Wallas Catalytic Hot Plate Stove, VitriFrigo 12v Fridge, Dieselsite & Amsoil Filtration,.. and my other RV is a BMW R1200GS.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #4

My only caution... Extended Warranty companies are only interested in the financial success of Extended Warranty companies... nothing else... nothing. else.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:51 PM   #5

I'm surprised any company would offer a 6.0 PSD warranty.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:48 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

In addition to reading the full contract along with specifics on what's not covered I'd do an internet search for that company name----surely anyone with any experience would have posted something somewhere.

But my skeptical side says TwoGone's thoughts are more true than imagined.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:42 AM   #7

Thanks twogone, PatO, and JWA. I thought it was probably in the catagory of "too good to be true," but I needed a "reality check." I did the internet search as suggested and found a number of accounts from disgruntled UCC Extended Warranty purchasers,... It sounds like getting them to pay for any major claim is a royal PITA. I think I'll put the money towards some more "bullet-proofing" mods and hope for the best.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #8
Site Team

On the flip side, just like in this forum, the only time many people post is when there's a problem.

The only time people complain about the cheapest automobile insurance they could find, is when they try to make a claim.

Herb
Old 10-07-2015, 03:50 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
On the flip side, just like in this forum, the only time many people post is when there's a problem.

The only time people complain about the cheapest automobile insurance they could find, is when they try to make a claim.

Herb
That too is a salient point! On that note I wonder how we could get a better idea of any one vendor or service provider's performance? The only upside to negative reviews is we're pretty sure they're from real people and not friends or employees of the vendor under review.

Having once owned a body shop when these sorts of aftermarket extended warranties came to the general public the paying authority had so many hoops to jump thorough most shops like mine eventually refused to deal directly with them. We would do the repairs, provide the customer with supporting photos and/or documentation of the cause and work performed but payment would come from the customer. From there it was on them to be reimbursed.

And like any warranty we never know how good or bad it is until its needed.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #10

I have purchased extended warrantees a couple times and somehow they never covered my problem. E.g., a glow plug cost several hundred on a vehicle with an extended warrantee that was supposed to include drive train problems. I would want to know the turbo at least was covered

I would want them to spell out exactly what is not covered. I would rather pay another $1,000 or 2 if it included a statement that the only thing not covered was tires. E.g., you can like or dislike BMW, but on a new one, they say everything is covered, even the regular service for the first 50,000 miles. Wiper blades even. After 50,000, it's another story.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote