Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 12:05 AM   #1

Coolant leak around top of engine

Anyone know where this coolant could be coming from? I drove up into the mountains this morning, about 1 hour of mountain roads and climbing. Was not pushing it to hard, coolant temps were around 216 degrees. A few hours after reaching my destination I noticed something leaking from engine, it was coolant. Removed doghouse and noticed dried coolant residue on top of engine, particularly on turbo, only on drivers side but clearly had been sprayed all over. I'm guessing about half a gallon of coolant is missing from the degas bottle.
At this point the engine was completely cooled down. I started it up (doghouse still off) and let it run until coolant us at normal running temp (190 deg). No sign of a leak and no steam or coolant smell coming from exhaust. Put everything back together and drove down the mountain and home (about a 2 hour drive). When I got home more coolant was dripping from engine.
It did not look like it is coming from EGR cooler as almost all of the coolant residue is on the other side of the engine. And Oil temps and coolant temps were never more the 8 deg. apart on the drive home.
Does the turbo have coolant running through it?

BTW this is a 2006 6.0 Diesel.

Any help in pin pointing this leak would be appreciated.

Cheers,
John

jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:32 AM   #2

Re: Coolant leak around top of engine

Best would to put a pressure tester to it. You replace the cap on the degas bottle and pump it up to whatever the pressure rating on the cap is. Any leaks should be aparent. If not, you can put some UV die in the coolant and use a black light to spot the leak. Many auto parts stores sell a kit with the die and light. Some also lend tools like a pressre tester. Good luck.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:40 AM   #3

Is degas bottle cap closed......no....tighten
Cap closed but showing signs of leaking.....bad cap or head gaskets
EGR coolers have tendency to leak on brazed fitting
EGR cooler hose
EGR cooler has a gasket between it and the intake and from bottom of intake to water pump
Oil cooler hose
Return hose from cooler to degas bottle
Turbo has no coolant only oil
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
Site Team

Any white smoke?

Any oily residue in the coolant tank?

Where is the heater core on a van?

Herb
Old 10-19-2015, 08:00 AM   #5

Garage

Could be the radiator. The side tanks are plastic and deform after about 100k miles and start leaking. The fan could be spreading the coolant all over the engine. Happened to me.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #6

Even though you don't think it's coming from the EGR cooler my guess it would still be this stupid little connector hose. Mine starting leaking at 90k.

I didn't use this part as I deleted the cooler so you are welcome to it if you need it.
Attached Thumbnails
egr cooler hose.JPG  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:01 PM   #7

Thanks all, I really appreciate all the help.
The pressure test was key. Turns out the leak is coming from the line that takes the coolant from the drives side, just under the degas bottle, over the top of the engine and into the heater core. Part of this line is a metal pipe. Turns out that this pipe has been rubbing against the top of the engine compartment and finally wore through. Why that thing is coming into contact with another piece of metal I can't understand. But when I replace it, I will make sure it won't be doing that anymore.
I have a replacement part on order (ouch, $190 hose) and should have everything back in order in time for this weekends road trip.
Thanks again for all the input. It really helped me look at this with a fresh pair of eyes.
Cheers,
John
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote