Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #1

v-10 muffler

i'm thinking that i made a mistake putting the magnum muffler with 4 inch exhaust on my van. it's too LOUD. LOUD I SAID.......does anyone know what the best muffler is in terms of performance AND actually quieting the engine? thanks.....THANKS!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #2

Re: v-10 muffler

Im kind of glad you did! ... because i want to get a muffler for our v10.. but didn't know which to choose for the same reason... just how bad is it?
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #3

the whole family hates me for it.....that's how loud it is. And it cost about 500, plus 200 for sound dead-aning material which helped a little, but not enough. i didnt see a huge increase in HP or mileage, either. it's LOUD everywhere, not just in the back seats. i guess you could argue that the acceleration is improved, but really, the sound level might be adding to that perception. anybody want to buy a slightly used cat-back exhaust??
Old 03-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #4

Dang, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Maybe i'll just keep my stock exhaust on. What exactly did you get?.. do you have a model number or anything? I've never really heard of magnum... i've heard of Magnaflow?....

And 4"? They said 4" was enough back pressure for a v10? Usually the 4"-5" stuff is left for diesels. Would bringing it back down to what 3" keep the sound down?

If you youtube a video of it... i "might" consider buying it.. but shoot.. if it's that annoying.. i doubt i'll want it either.

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Old 03-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #5

yeah...magnaflow. magnum was a PI on TV back in the 70's.

i think its 4 inch, not sure. I dont really 'do" engine stuff. I'm a plumber, carpenter, welder, electrician guy. i guess i could measure it, but seriously---if you arent willing to go LOUD, dont do it. it's echo alone (inside the truck) is enough to say no. MAYBE some sort of under-carriage application would do it, but for now i'm waiting for thisthing just to need to be replaced. Unfortunately, it's stainless with a lifetime warrnety.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #6

Again, thats a shame. Makes me really think twice before doing any after market exhaust on ours.

...And i dont know how many miles ago you did it, but they get louder as they "break-in" so to speak.

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Old 03-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

Been there, done that.... Unlike a pickup where the muffler is under the bed, our vans act like one big echo chamber. I did a cat-back exhaust with a "performance" muffler on a previous gasser van and all it seemed to do was make a lot of noise. It was my wife's daily driver so I had the shop change out the muffler and peace was restored. I don't remember the muffler brand, but it was a huge, long cylindrical thing (looked a lot like a Walker Big Truck muffler) and the muffler shop even rotated it down (inlet/outlet not in center of muffler) so it was farther away from the floor of the van to help with noise attenuation.

I'd contact the place you bought it and see if you can exchange the muffler for something else. If that doesn't work, call a local muffler shop and see what they recommend. Mufflers are relatively cheap to buy and install.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
Site Team

Could also be a particular resonance. Can the system be slightly "tuned" for a different frequency? Talk to the installer before you get rid of it. If nothing else, he might credit some of it back towards the purchase of something else.

Herb
Old 03-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #9

great post! i'm searching for another muffler set up this week and i think i'll be very careful which direction to go. maybe in this case i'll leave well enough alone.
2013 Honda Insight hybrid
jochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #10

ok i went with the 700 series flowmaster. perfect. my wife doesn't hear anything different when we're pulling the trailer up the grade. but i sense a bit more perfomance for some reason. in fact she won't know we got a new muffler until she sees our checking statement...
2013 Honda Insight hybrid
jochi is offline   Reply With Quote