Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #1

E series tires

I think I saw this thread somewhere but can't find it now. I'm getting ready to replace my BFG AT's with the same tires. I currently have 285 75 R16 "D" series. Can anyone tell me if the "E" series are better, worse, the same? I can't seem to find anything about them via Google. I've gotten good wear out of the current set, but given the weight of The Van (9,200 lb's!) with just me, food, wine, bourbon, and a couple of fly rods, I want to make sure the tires are in good shape.

thanks..

Tom

Old 09-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #2

Re: E series tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
I think I saw this thread somewhere but can't find it now. I'm getting ready to replace my BFG AT's with the same tires. I currently have 285 75 R16 "D" series. Can anyone tell me if the "E" series are better, worse, the same? I can't seem to find anything about them via Google. I've gotten good wear out of the current set, but given the weight of The Van (9,200 lb's!) with just me, food, wine, bourbon, and a couple of fly rods, I want to make sure the tires are in good shape.

thanks..

Tom
Do a search on 'tires' or 'e rated' and you'll find a lot of good info. It is a widely discussed topic.

Short version is that consensus favors the greater load bearing capacity of E rated tires for the SMB vans. Most of the popular tires used on our rigs are available in an E load rating.

Rob
Old 09-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #3

I'm running E rated Nitto Terragrapplers in your size for about 15k miles so far. All has been good. You should definitely upgrade to E rated tires unless you plan on cutting back on the food/alcohol...which is not recommended.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #4

Ha! Just got my new BFG AT/KO E Rated 10 ply tires mounted today. I've had BFG AT/KO D rated tires for 30,000 miles, but I have become convinced that they are just too close to their real weight rating for safety for my 10,600lb fully loaded Sporty.

I was looking at the new tires this afternoon on the Sporty in the driveway, and they are individually rated at 3,500 lbs. The Sporty's rear axle is holding at least 6,000 lbs of the weight of the van, so it is nice to have around a 400lb safety factor for the rear wheels.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #5

Also, if you research tires on the Tirerack.com, basic Ford E-350 vans (before customization) are recommended to use only E rated tires.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
Site Team

BETTER!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

I switch from BFG AT 285/75/16 D's to the same tire in E's. Much better mileage but rougher ride at 75-80 PSI. American tire gave me the best deal in town. (small town)

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #8

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken

I think D tires can only hold 50 PSI and SMB recommends 80PSI which E can handle.

Extra pressure = better highway mileage

Here is some non-scientific information
http://forums.dieselpowermag.com/70/626 ... index.html

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #9

It's not the PSI it's the weight rating, and the ratings on the sidewall are max weight at max PSI. The problem is Ds aren't rated a high enough weight for the vans (or it is very close, enough that not running at max pressure seems to destroy tires).

The result is you may be able to run an E at some lower percent of max pressure, say the same 60psi, and still have enough weight bearing (some percentage of the max weight at max pressure) to be safe for how heavy the van is. I don't know what the calculations are, but there is a discussion in one of the "weigh your rig" threads, and it varies by tire as all Es are not the same.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #10

I only have 10 miles on my new E rated BFG Mud Terrains KM2's right now but am doing a 700 mile trip next weekend so should be able to report something. I upgraded from BFG 295/16 AT's which were D rated. I will not go back to a D rated tire. After 38K miles they were in bad shape; cracking, sidewall splitting etc. The 295's had a 65# max air pressure.
Pat O
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote