Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #1

Changing Top Fuel Filter & EGR

Searched but couldn't find anything along the lines of tips for changing the top, or engine mounted fuel filter on my 2007 6.0l. I can see where it is mounted way back on top of the engine behind the oil fill tube and turbo lines, but I can barely touch it. Any help appreciated.

Got my air filter changed, found that by removing the fasteners to the coolant bottle and lifting it up and over a little bit made things way easier.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #2

Re: Changing Top Fuel Filter

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-06-06.php

This works perfectly. That filter is a PIA but you can get to it. I've removed the coolant reservoir to get to the air filter as well.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #3

My van has SMB and Salem-Kroger additions to the wiring harness and it doesn't move as nicely as the pictures show.

So, I move the power steering reservoir and remove the duct from the air cleaner. Then I can snake my arm back to the filter housing and change it out.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #4

Yep the above "how to" works well. It is a bear to get to for sure the first time. While you are in there I suggest that you pull the EGR valve and clean it. To do this you also need to remove the heat shielded intercooler pipe and the bridge bracket that holds the oil fill tube and dipstick.
If you need more info I can take some pics etc.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #5

Boy, any pictures on cleaning the EGR valve would be great - thanks for the help.

Scott
Old 03-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikine
Boy, any pictures on cleaning the EGR valve would be great - thanks for the help.

Scott
About 1/3 down the list of articles, there's a "6.0L EGR Valve Cleaning" article, and about 2/3 down, there's an article on "EGR Servicing". Lot's of other good reference material on this site as well.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/

Herb
Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #7

That's the site I used to find the fuel filter and EGR stuff. The only thing is that they don't have a "how-to" for the EGR removal on the van.
** The following items need to be removed to allow access to the EGR valve in addition to the items already removed for the fuel filter ( wire loom, power steering reservoir etc.)**
The following is made easier with long extensions for your 1/4" ratchet. I was going to take photos while I was doing it but it was snowing and I was pissed off. I'm ready for spring!

1) Remove the upper coolant hose on the radiator end and tuck it out of the way.

2) Remove the heat shielded intercooler tube.

3) Remove the bracket that spans the alternator to the area behind an intake elbow. This was a pain to reach on the backside of the metal elbow. Removal of this bracket allows you to move aside the oil fill and dipstick.

4) Remove the 2 small bolts holding the EGR valve down. Don't drop them or you'll never see them again.

5) Rotate the EGR valve so you can use the coathanger method to remove the valve. This involves bending a wire into a u-shape with a hook bent into each end. Hook these into the bolt holes on the EGR valve and the pry up using a long bar or screwdriver.

Follow the instructions from the other site on cleaning.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #8

Saline - thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Plan to get the top fuel filter changed out this weekend and take a look at the EGR valve as well.
Scott
Old 03-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #9

No problem. It is a pain the 1st time but will go easier the next time. Cleaning the EGR valve is pretty important and the dealer charges out the a** for it. When it gets stuck due to carbon buildup, it will ruin your trip for sure.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #10

Just wondering if most folks cleaning their EGR Valve are swapping out the "O-Rings" & gasket also or can you get buy with just re-using them? Maybe I need to order up some before I go to the hassle of pulling it out.