Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #1

6.8L V10 exhaust and intake...

So, looking to have the guys at 5 Star do a programmer and tune, but wanted to see what you all with V10s were doing on exhaust and intakes?

I think an AFE (From 5 star) or a K&N intake kit are the two to look at. Maybe others? Which is better? K&N is a greatly recognized company...

The exhaust is tougher to find and tougher to narrow down. At this stage, I can really only find Gibson and Banks.

Banks' stuff is really expensive and no idea on Gibson. Always used different exhaust companies for the diesels. So, not sure where to start on the V10.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #2

Re: 6.8L V10 exhaust and intake...

I just received my 5star tuner in the mail, I have a K&N setup, and exhaust may be in the future, but for now the tuner and intake are it. I have not driven a full tank since installing the programmer, but I hope to be getting 13-14mpg. The service is great, Mike is a really nice guy and he will help you set up everything. It's a pretty cool plug n' play device.
Cheers,
Colby
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #3

I have the K&N filter only, not the intake setup. Too expensive for what you'll get. And I'm a happy 5-Star tune customer.

I still have my stock exhaust. When the muffler goes, I'll replace it with a FlowMaster 70 Series.

Fact: When you allow more air into your engine, and get the air out more quickly, the computer will add more gas to keep the fuel mixture correct, thereby using more gas, lowering your mileage.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c7train
I just received my 5star tuner in the mail, I have a K&N setup, and exhaust may be in the future, but for now the tuner and intake are it. I have not driven a full tank since installing the programmer, but I hope to be getting 13-14mpg. The service is great, Mike is a really nice guy and he will help you set up everything. It's a pretty cool plug n' play device.
Cheers,
Colby
c7train, how's that 13-14 mpg working out for you? The only time I got 13 mpg in my van was on the sissy tune, and I was in the way on the I-5. It wasn't worth it.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #5

I have a K and N filter and a flowmaster big block 70 series muffler and that gave me 2 miles per gallon gain not bad for under $300 wont take long to recover the costs. The stock muffler inside has a 1 inch wide passage and the flowmaster was at least 3 inch. Its sounds cool too.
tuffcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffcap
I have a K and N filter and a flowmaster big block 70 series muffler and that gave me 2 miles per gallon gain not bad for under $300 wont take long to recover the costs. The stock muffler inside has a 1 inch wide passage and the flowmaster was at least 3 inch. Its sounds cool too.

Did you do a slip on the outside on the inlet end and slip on the inside for the outlet end? Do you have the ID or OD for those?
Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #7

We'll need part numbers....

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #8

QuadVan says AFE is worth the upgrade. They actually dyno tested it on a van.

Skip the Gibson headers. They are too short. If you want headers, go with Banks. Otherwise you are better off with just a cat-back system. Gibson headers will reduce low-end torque.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #9

For the exhaust, which Banks kit fits a van? They seemed to have trucks, and class C motorhomes.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #10

For 2wd, you want Class C motorhome. For 4wd the Class C headers won't fit unless the T-case is clocked. I actually don't know if the 4x4 pickup stuff will fit the van (I'm sure it fits the motor... just now sure about the other stuff down there...).