Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

Cruise control intermittent failure?

A couple of weeks ago I was driving from Oklahoma to Texas on rural highways using cruise control; it was about 105*F. In the early (hot) afternoon, I tapped the brakes to disengage the cruise as I went through a small town, and then hit "resume." Nothing. I tried turning cruise off, then on and resetting....nothing. In the next small town I pulled over, turned off the engine, waited a few minutes, started again, and still cruise didn't work. Bummer.

Later I stopped for mediocre BBQ in Stephensville, TX -- the van was parked in full sun for about an hour. When I started up again, cruise control worked just fine for the final five hours of the trip.

I haven't taken the van on a long hot run since then to try to reproduce the problem.

Googling has not turned up any TSBs for the 2006 cruise control -- at least, not with my Google skills. Any ideas what might be going on? (I like to have a bit of a clue before heading to the mechanic. )

Thanks,

Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #2

Re: Cruise control intermittent failure?

I've had intermittent cruise control issues since I've owned my van. It may work fine for months, then all of a sudden it will intermittently just cut out. Sometimes it will reset, sometimes won't work for an 5, 10, 30, 60, ... minutes. Totally random. I've had Ford try to find the problem a few times and they have never been able to figure it out. I now have just accepted it. It won.

Will be interested to know what you find.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #3

Could it be something with the brake light switch? Since thats the one thing you did when you first noticed it acting up was after you pushed the brake pedal. On my van the brake lights come on (and the cruise shuts off) super easy you hardly have to push the pedal at all. The other possibility might be something like the clock spring. Thats the part that lets the steering wheel move and yet send signals to the Cruise Control switches. Of course it could be the switches and a whole bunch of other things as well. Maybe someone on here has had this problem and found the cause.

The Ford service manual has a very good flow/test and function chart for the cruise control system. The problem is that in order to find out whats wrong it has to be not workkng probably. But the system can store fault codes sometimes from the quick read I gave it.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
The other possibility might be something like the clock spring.
Great place to start! They almost NEVER get the TLC and/or attention they need, especially on higher mileage Vans.
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #5

Cruise control intermittent failure?

I have also had this. Weird. At first I thought I was tripping out but then as my wife was watching me push the buttons I figured it wasn't just me. Not sure why or if it's bad but sure don't want to pay ford to check it out. Not too big of a deal for me because I usually don't use cc, but for a trip to the lake or snow I would like it.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #6

Add me to the list. Although it hasn't happened in over a year, I had a spat of intermittent Cruise control cutting out.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Only a couple times for me and was resolved after re-starting the engine.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #8

i had intermittent problems like the ones described above on my trips last year. When I made a trip to Utah this past May the problem got really severe and most of the time the cruise would not come on at all or if it did, it would kick back out again in a short time. I also noticed that this happened more often if I had to tap the brake pedal for some reason while the van was running in cruise. When I got back from Utah I took it in to the local Ford dealer. They installed a new brake switch - p/n 3L3Z-9F924AB (van is a 2007 Econoline V-10) and the problem went away completely.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

My '08 does it too. Every several thousand miles, but on a non predictable schedule. Sometimes hot, sometimes not. Usually "fixes" itself after 5 or ten minutes. Just did it the other day as I was coming home from an expensive trip to SMB.
As an added bonus, I've also had the little wrench symbol pop up on the instrument panel accompanied by about a 95 reduction in power. Happened 4 or 5 times now. When I take it to Ford it doesn't show a code,and they have no idea what causes it. Pretty exciting when it happens on the fwy.....If I turn the engine off and then on again, it goes away.
Bill
Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon
I've also had the little wrench symbol pop up on the instrument panel accompanied by about a 95 reduction in power. Happened 4 or 5 times now. When I take it to Ford it doesn't show a code,and they have no idea what causes it. Pretty exciting when it happens on the fwy.....If I turn the engine off and then on again, it goes away.
Bill
That was the original reason I bought a Scangauge. Once I was able to capture the code that caused my Check Engine Light the dealer was able to fix it quickly.

Now I love the Scangauge for many reasons.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote