Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #1

Don's Sportsmobile build

We have started this journey a few months ago, having a Sportsmobile conversion performed by SMB in Austin, TX. We were looking for a van that had a lift to assist getting into the van, that would be used for around town and for "RV" travel, and with the customization ability of a Sportsmobile, we found what we were looking for.

After discussing our needs/wants with Paul at SMB S, the RB high roof 2500 van was ordered on August 24th , and arrived in Austin on November 29th. From there it went to Advanced Mobility where the Braun under vehicle lift (UVL) was installed, and then to Custom Sounds for the Audio/Video pre-install, next week SMB starts the conversion, with an estimated completion of the first week of February, 2013.

Lower running boards/steps will be installed to integrate with the lift for a finished look when complete. We have opted for the Espar heat, Danhard A/C, high idle kit, EU2000i storage, convection microwave and the standard refrigerator. One of our goals was to have a stealthy look when completed, so going with the Danhard should help by keeping the roof line clean.

Here's it is at Advanced with the UVL installed, it's a pretty slick unit, but we will have to be mindful of ground clearance.

Our current floor plan is attached.

I really appreciate all of the information that others have posted on this forum, it's been very helpful as we have decided on our options!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RB High Roof 12-26-12.pdf (1.22 MB, 242 views)

DonMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #2

Re: Don's Sportsmobile build

I like the choice for the wheelchair lift. It leaves all the inside floor space clear.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #3

Don't forget to post some after pictures..... Looks good....

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #4

Garage

I have seen the UVL lift and in certain circumstances it works really well. They are great on asphalt and concrete. One thing to be aware of is they don't work well in the snow. They just collect too much crap. IMHO It is fine for the occasional trip but I wouldn't use one as a daily driver if you live in snow country. Seeing as you live in Texas the only thing I would say is too watch the dust. Regular maintenance of the unit will go along way. They say the UVL is a sealed unit, not so much. Dust gets everywhere and you would be suprised what you can collect with just getting on and off the lift let alone driving around. I will be following your build. Great start though!
Cheers
Darryl
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:17 AM   #5

Hi Don,

So far the van looks great! I like the idea of the internal danhard. We did the same thing to prevent having a "big box" on the roof which gives us room for our roof rack, and eventual SUP boards.. Please post more pics as your build progresses!

-Tony V
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #6

Progress!

With about 2 weeks left to go before delivery, SMB-S was kind enough to send me some photo's with the current status of the build. We started this journey when we placed our van order on August 28, 2012, almost 5 months ago!

Windows are in and tinted:

Flooring and walls in place, wiring and plumbing roughed in:

Cabinets going in:

Even a special place for the "GO GO" scooter storage under the rear couch/bed:

The running boards are yet to be painted and installed, which will help blend in the overall look with the UVL lift. After a careful review of the photos, we noticed the counter top installed is not the color we had picked out, that will be corrected. We are really getting excited after seeing these! One of our goals was to have a stealthy look, with the vehicle not looking like a RV, but having all the items normally in one. With the Danhard A/C allowing for a smooth roof line, the electric hot water heater, Espar heater and A/C powered refrigerator not requiring cut outs on the side of the van for installation, I think we may have accomplished the look we wanted. If not for the A/C shore power and water connection located on the driver side, who would know!
DonMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #7

Maybe Ill see ya there , Ill be there on the 4th for a few days
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #8

Im looking at your van now, do you want pics of anything special? I see they finished the inside window frames and did the running boards
Attached Thumbnails
Send.jpg   Send2.jpg   Send1.jpg  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #9

And finished the cabinets
Attached Thumbnails
Send6.jpg   Send5.jpg  
Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #10

That scooter up against the side of the tank bothers me, both for wear and tear on the tank (my tank has a board with two L brackets between it and anything that might rub it) and there is 0 clearance for the scooter to come in and out, since you have to twist it to get it out.

Otherwise, good stuff, love an inside look!