Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #1

EB Sprinter Design for a Family of 4/ Bunk Bed Design

Hi All: New to the forum and I certainly appreciate everyone’s insights as I have been reading through the different posts.

My wife and I plus two younger children are currently planning on starting an EB Sprinter build out shortly. One of the big decision points for us is how to sleep Mom & Dad plus the kids. Our current thought is go with a design that has a couch in the back with ottomans for Mom & Dad to have a big bed. We’d, then, put bunk beds against each side wall for the kids.

This would allow us to have all of the other features that we are interested in (full bathroom, full kitchen, larger frig, storage, ect).

However, I am concerned that the bunk beds won’t be big enough as the kids grow to be teenagers. Does anyone have experience with sleeping teenagers/adults in the bunk beds and if so, what were your impressions?

It also strikes me that IF the bunk beds could actually be lowered down from the roof instead folding up against the side walls then the design would be even better. The bunk beds when raised & combined with a safety bar could double as extra storage when traveling, would enable larger windows and provide “the feel” of being more spacious.

Am I crazy about thinking of such a design? Would it even be possible?

Thanks for the thoughts…

AndrewR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

Re: EB Sprinter Design for a Family of 4/ Bunk Bed Design

Hi Andrew,

Class-B designs are always full of compromises. In this case you would lose a lot of storage space with the bunk beds. If you haven't already, check out my web site (click on Vanessa below) to see how we added lots of storage space, needed just for the two of us. We are packing now for a 2-week trip and most of our storage space is full. In July we plan to take two grandchildren camping. They will either sleep on the floor or in a tent. You could add a storage container on your hitch but if you always have that then you might as well get an LB sprinter.

David
Old 05-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #3

Go to DIY section and download the Sprinter floorplan grid pdf. To make your own plan. I came up with a plan for a rear bath/ shower and 4 bunks with a couch and kitchen up front. I started with the idea from the band gallery. PM me and I will scan and send you the plan.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #4

Hope you can get an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
001small.jpg  
Old 05-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #5

A little better.
Attached Thumbnails
002small.jpg  
Old 05-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #6
Site Team

Andrew,

Maybe this is what you're looking for.

http://www.outsidevan.com/modular-flip-bunks.php
http://www.outsidevan.com/panel-bunk-system.php

Herb
Old 05-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #7

Garage

Andrew,

You can also PM AndrewST. He just made his own interior with modular elements and he maybe give you some tips.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #8

From what you have said, I think the simple solution is to get a pop-top/penthouse bed. That way whichever two of you you want, can be up and totally out of the way. Another possibility is that the area over the front seats is mostly ignored in vans but it can be used for sleeping with a little creativity.

VW used to offer a metal framed, canvas cot that clipped into mounts on the door frames, stretching across the width of the vehicle. It was a good idea and suited a smaller person or child. A Sprinter is considerably bigger and more solid than a '70's VW van and figuring out a way to mount the kids beds up front should be possible, freeing up the rest of the van for the kitchen and other bed.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #9

The key is they want this plan to last after the kids have grown.A tent trailer could also be employed later if needed.