Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #1

Anyone have the "Go to Workshop" message pop up in the wind?

Another thread just reminded me of something that happened a couple weeks back.

We were driving down CA Hwy 25 between Gilroy and Hollister one afternoon. This area is pretty exposed to a pass in the mountains and typically gets real windy in the afternoon when it gets warm out. This area now has a concrete divider along the entire length of this stretch so it may have had an impact on what happened.

So what happened was that we were driving along and it was gusting pretty bad, about as bad as I have ever seen it. The gusts gave us the worst shaking I have ever felt in Charlie to date. I actually had to do some quick countersteering which got spooky and some sustained countersteering.

All of a sudden a message comes up that says something like "Go to Workshop" which then alternated with a graphic of a tire rotating. Of course I think "crap the strange stuff happening to me isn't over yet". I turn around and head home and wonder what might have caused to warning message.

I am thinking that with all of the gyros and accelerometers and such that the shaking and countersteering and then the sustained countersteering along with the lean at times must have confused the crap out of the stability control system. I am assuming that this is what it was because a few miles after we ducked out of the wind the warning message disappeared and has not returned since.

I know that the winds were pretty extreme for around here but I remember reading about a member either here or over at the "Sprinter Forum" that regularly drove the Columbia River Gorge and he had issues with his driving comfort and confidence in the Sprinter's ability to stay on all four but no messages were mentioned.

So, has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks.

Chumley

Charlie is the best antidote for a tough week at work. I get to see a different side of this great country and relax in different places on every trip. My vacation home is parked where money can't buy residence. Life is a long journey and my magic carpet is named Charlie.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:29 AM   #2

Re: Anyone have the "Go to Workshop" message pop up in the w

Hi Chumley! I have not checked the forums in a bit. Caught up with work and all. I have not seen that message on my van but I have not had the misfortune of being in any massive windstorms / wind bursts either! Hope your adventures are going well!
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote