Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #1

Sprinter high-roof or penthouse

Hello,

Do you have the highroof or penthouse? Are you happy with the choice?

I like the simplicity of the high-top. Always "up". Don't have to worry about finding level ground for opening. Less time to setup and break down. Less expensive. Less complexity. More durable. More room for internal storage.

The only problem is that I'm tall and there would be zero headroom. Feels kind of claustrophobic. Is this something you get used to?

Any other thoughts on the penthouse versus the high-top?

yogiyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #2

Re: Sprinter high-roof or penthouse

It's really great having two "bedrooms" with the penthouse top, but the extra storage really comes in handy with the fixed top. It's too bad you can't have both! How many sleepers will you have in the van? Do you like to stretch out, read, or watch TV in bed? It's not that big of a deal getting the penthouse up and down with the electric option and I never had an issue when I wasn't on level ground. Yeah, It's a tough choice.
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #3

Thanks. If I get the penthouse, it wouldn't be for the extra sleeping room. It would be for more headroom and openness at the campsite. But I'm wondering if the closed in feeling of the high-roof might be something you adjust to.

Has anyone noticed an adjustment period to get used to the high-roof sprinter?
Old 08-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #4

I love the penthouse on the sprinter. At an Overlander show a couple of years ago we checked out the 2 styles. My wife liked the openness. I noted in the 100 degree heat that the penthouse was considerably cooler. You can open the vents and get the breeze to go through.

My last van was a high-roof version. I do miss the storage but choices do have to be made and I am sticking to the penthouse. Also for coolness select lighter colours.

I ordered the heavy duty suspension at the recommendation of Sportsmobile. Overkill. You don't need it . I could put in another 600lbs in the back then the back end would feel right.

Jim
DrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:34 AM   #5

Colorado Camper Van will do a low top like SMB but with quite a bit tall up above. They also to a higher top like a fixed top so even down will give almost high Sprinterlike effect. It still would have less storage. I posted link to youtube and someone else also.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #6

I am 6'0" and can walk around the inside of my high roof with no issues with about ~2 inches to spare. Any taller than that and it would be shoes off or bend over a bit.
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #7

Thanks all! I've actually been in Sprinters with and without a Penthouse. I like the feeling of the Penthouse more. But for practical purposes described earlier, I'm still considering the high-roof.

I have less then an inch of head room in the high-roof, so it feel a little strange ...I keep thinking I might bump my head when walking. But if it's something I could get over, I would get it. Wondering if any other tall folk have adjusted to the high-roof or regret getting it.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #8

The less than 9' clearance of the short roof with penthouse comes in handy for most drive-throughs. My local high wind restrictions don't affect vehicles under 9'.
canoe4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #9

I am 6'2" and love our high roof. I hit my head a few times going in and out of our bathroom, but the ceiling in the isle never bothers me even though I have only about 1/2" clearance. The air conditioner hangs down a couple of inches at the end of the isle before the dinette which could be a problem but has not been. Great to pull over for lunch or bathroom and have the head room without raising the roof. We travel for months at a time and need the storage. Check out my web site for photos and details.

I think the 3500 dually is needed for the high roof for stability in high gusty cross winds. Airtabs help.

David
Old 08-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #10

Thanks!

canoe4me, what high-wind restrictions are you referencing?

David, do you recommend the dually for the 144" wheelbase too?