Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #1

Looking for advice on picking a base model RB for a build

Newbie here - Great forum for info. Thanks in advance for supporting this.

I am seeking advice on picking the best base model for a build. Am 50 years old and I have notebooks from junior high days that show doodles of van configurations. All these years later I am ready to make it happen.

I know I want an RB for this first foray. I don't intend to go potty or cook in this people mover. I want to park it in a regular parking space. I won't be hauling water and fuels. I ski and mtn bike and have lately added surfing and have ideas of sea kayaking. I need to haul that type of gear and I want to haul me and my peeps to do these things. My configuaration will allow us to sleep inside while on the road, or for a fun overnight on weekend excursions.

I have roadtripped regularly between northern CA and Utah and am ready to expand my reach a bit further east and north.

I don't plan to pull any trailer at this point. The gear and luggage I need will be strapped onto the rig itself.

I am headed down to Fresno soon to put down a deposit on the pending 4x4s that are to be delivered after the first of the year. I have plenty of time to consider the insides. I would appreciate advice on the base model that I will need to reserve. Some might say overkill on the 4x4 but I am active up into the Sierras and back and in the Wasatch mountains during the winter months. And I like to cross the mountain passes that are open only in the summer.

Any ideas on what model of RB I should be thinking about reserving?

Thank you.

PapaElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #2

Re: Looking for advice on picking a base model RB for a buil

After more research maybe I've answered my own question. If I want a standard roof 144" wheelbase so that I can do a penthouse in my build, I think my only option is the 2500 model, if those choices remain for the awd/4x4 models.

Can anyone confirm?

I think the choices become confusing when you start looking across options on the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter website for what can be ordered and then back and forth to the SMB sites regarding what they show as the base package.

If this is true regarding the 2500 model I can just begin to work through the other checklists to prepare for the visit to Fresno. Any thoughts out there?
Old 05-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

So you're looking for a Sprinter type van?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #4

thanks for the question daveb.

Yes I guess I am.

I've looked at the Sprinters for awhile now, but have backed off because of the lack of AWD. I visit some property in UT several times a year where the access can often be restricted to 4WD only during heavy snowfall in the winters. I have owned a minivan in the past and am now driving an aging Sequoia when i need to haul more people and stuff and be in the snow.

When I bought the minivan I really wanted the VW Eurovan for its size and functionality but the ex-wife nixed it.

I like the penthouse feature and the configuration i am looking allows for the sofa that converts to a queen bed in the back. I like the idea of having more room that the Sprinter allows.

I understand I might be able to just grab a passenger van version and have the penthouse installed and maybe the sofa conversion as well and save maybe $20k.

I live in Northern CA and am becoming an empty nester and have more free time to explore my own background around here after years of raising kids. My last remaining kid is an adventure type and i think this would be an additional way to connect with some fun experiences for a few years before she heads out.

Maybe too much info..
Old 05-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #5

Sounds like you need a 4x4 passenger van with penthouse. Problem solved.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaElf
thanks for the question daveb.

Yes I guess I am.

I've looked at the Sprinters for awhile now, but have backed off because of the lack of AWD. I visit some property in UT several times a year where the access can often be restricted to 4WD only during heavy snowfall in the winters. I have owned a minivan in the past and am now driving an aging Sequoia when i need to haul more people and stuff and be in the snow.

When I bought the minivan I really wanted the VW Eurovan for its size and functionality but the ex-wife nixed it.

I like the penthouse feature and the configuration i am looking allows for the sofa that converts to a queen bed in the back. I like the idea of having more room that the Sprinter allows.

I understand I might be able to just grab a passenger van version and have the penthouse installed and maybe the sofa conversion as well and save maybe $20k.

I live in Northern CA and am becoming an empty nester and have more free time to explore my own background around here after years of raising kids. My last remaining kid is an adventure type and i think this would be an additional way to connect with some fun experiences for a few years before she heads out.

Maybe too much info..
Opps, I approved your posts and thought you were in the General section...my bad. I was gonna suggest you post in this section Glad I didn't move you out of this section and back into this section...that would have really spun me

One thing I would agree with you with is having AWD would sure help on lite off road and well worth having in snow. Worth the wait if they aren't producing them or the 4x4 package yet.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/n ... inter-4x4/

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #7

Hi Papa,

While I don't do a lot of mountain biking, we do like our SUP boards. We kinda did the same thing you are interested in with no water/cooking/porta potty in a RB. We did go with the high roof.

If you have not already, you can check out our build below.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9283

tv
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote