Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #1

How to destroy your awning

Lesson learned:

A few weeks back the wife and I were SUP’ing on Lake Fontana, just south of GSMNP. Although slightly overcast, with a few small passing showers, we had a great day. Once back at camp, I setup the awning as the sun had come out in full force, and it was slightly toasty at our campsite. After cooking dinner, drinking a few beers, we headed to bed for the evening.

At around 1am, the sky opened up and we started to get a heavy downpour of rain. I got up to close the vents to make sure rain did not come in. About 30 minutes later, I heard what I initially thought was a tree branch that had fallen on the van. It was a HUGE boom and not only did it cause us both to jump up, but it shook the van. I tried to open the sliding door but noticed that the awning was laying up against the window. After stepping out the passenger door, and not seeing any tree branches is when my mistake was realized.

I was not paying attention when I set the awning up earlier in the day (in full sun) and happened to set it up pretty much parallel with the ground. It being flat, allowed water to pool up in the middle of the awning which eventually broke both support arm brackets and cause the awning to pendulum into the side of the van at a very high rate of speed.

Pictures included for your viewing pleasure:

Support Bracket #1 hanging on by sheer willpower alone:

Support bracket #2 was completely separated from the awning and laying on the ground:

I contemplated replacing both support arms (at $250 each) but decided the rails were just too bent and elected to purchase a new awning from fiamma. The new awning should be in either today or tomorrow, so replacement happens this weekend.

-Tony V

tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: How do destroy your awning

Even with the awning sloped away from the van, don't you think the center of the awning could have become a bathtub anyway since it is more supported on the edges than the center?

Herb
Old 10-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #3

My Fiamma has a center brace... don't most of them?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
My Fiamma has a center brace... don't most of them?
Right, but then you have two smaller bathtubs....maybe each one will be small enough to prevent a catastrophic failure as compared to one large bathtub, but maybe not.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #5

Tony,

Thanks for sharing your story. sorry for your loss.
Maybe the story will evolve over the years to where a bear cub was using it as a trampoline.
hopefully the van didn't get messed up too bad in the blowout.
and you can salvage spare parts from the awning for future needs.

safe travels
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #6

That is quite a bummer, and also by far the most common RV disaster besides tire blowouts. I've heard story after story over the years and still managed to do it myself as well. The wind before a storm picked mine up and lashed it against the side of the van, bending several things and scratching my van. This was my previous rig, not my current one. Anyway, I love to leave my awning out at night but I don't anymore if there's ANY chance of rain.

Good luck with the fix

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

With the right slope and using the center bar, I haven't had any problems. Yes it does create two small pools. Also I don't know how far down you can slope it. Depends on if the barn doors clear it and that varies between models. Sorry to hear that it was damage.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

I went on Fiamas web sit and ordered new end caps not to long ago but I could not find the center support to order one anyplace .

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #9

If you do not mind going a bit ghetto, go to HD / Lowes and buy a good quality 10 ft (when extended) extending painters twist lock pole for arnd $20. It works great.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #10

I ended up buying a brand new awning from fiamma. After initially telling me titanium was back ordered until December, I got a call yesterday stating they got an early shipment and pulled one aside for me.

I am not exactly sure what I will do with the old awning at this point. (Repair/keep for parts, dunno)

tv
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote