Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #1

VW Eurovan Camper into Sprinter

I've ordered a stone grey 144, low top, 4x4 through Sportsmobile Texas and have yet to finalize any interior plans. I do know that I want a poptop and a need a shower. I plan to get the recessed shower pan. (Anyone have a recessed shower in their sprinter RB?)
I know that some of you came from VW's and into a sprinter. Basically I feel my "99 EVC was getting long in the tooth (old) and my wife felt it might become unreliable on longer trips.
I am curious how many of you came to sprinters from VW campers. And what you liked/disliked about the VW's and what you like about your sprinter in comparison.
I would get about 20-22 mpg in my VW and liked how small it was - it fits in my garage. I'll need to build a larger garage to fit the sprinter in. I'll also feel more comfortable going on dirt roads in Utah, though of course no real 4x4ing.
now I await it's arrival and the SMBT conversion - patience is required.

Thanks,
David

Davidboco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #2

Re: VW Eurovan Camper into Sprinter

We have put a deposit on a Sprinter RB and I did ask about the recessed shower pan. SMB West told me it was not possible to do this in RB but he did suggest a porta shower. Not sure exactly what that is except a bucket of some sort that you stand in midvan with a shower curtain around it and using the sink faucet for a shower nozzle. I would like to hear what you find out.
Joanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #3

Ps we are migrating from a 1990 Vanagon
Joanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #4

I went from an 88 Westy to my 98 Ford SMB 2WD. Love the extra room, being able to get cheap parts, and being able to get it fixed just about anywhere! But that doesn't help you at all with the Sprinter, so I'll shut up now.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanie
We have put a deposit on a Sprinter RB and I did ask about the recessed shower pan. SMB West told me it was not possible to do this in RB but he did suggest a porta shower. Not sure exactly what that is except a bucket of some sort that you stand in midvan with a shower curtain around it and using the sink faucet for a shower nozzle. I would like to hear what you find out.
You pretty much nailed it. The one I looked at basically looked like this:

But I could never figure out why SMB couldn't install something like this which is basically a fold up fiberglass pan similar to what you put under a washing machine.

Even though they put full showers even in the Ford vans with popup tops, I'm thinking a shower just takes the space of cabinets that owners need more than a shower.

I think another issue is the holding tank which takes up a fair amount of space but if you frequent parks with full hookups it's not a problem.
Attached Images

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #6

do you know the manufacturer or distributor for that folding shower? I'm doing a home build and looking at options
kalvarav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanie
Ive seen lots of folks use a cement tub for a porta shower pan. Then just dump in the sink
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Mat ... 5yc1vZaq89
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb

But I could never figure out why SMB couldn't install something like this which is basically a fold up fiberglass pan similar to what you put under a washing machine.

they did, I know of 2 , Bulbasors and mine

I saw the Murphy shower in this sportsmobile http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1550 .

The link to BULBASORs video is dead, I have it saved here , as mine was developed from it http://s441.photobucket.com/user/dober_ ... sort=4&o=2
I had that made into a slideout murphy shower http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13275 (post 6 and 7) Mine is all stainless steel and was totally made by Sportsmobile (texas)
its just like the wall unit but the top 1/2 of the wall folds down and its mounted in a slide out pantry. It slides out, then you fold down the shower pan, then fold up the back wall and shower curtain. The drain line has enough slack in it to slide out
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:33 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalvarav
do you know the manufacturer or distributor for that folding shower? I'm doing a home build and looking at options
Sorry I don't know who makes the porta shower if that is what you're asking.

I saw the fold up shower on a site about tiny houses

http://tinyhousetalk.com/showers-in-tiny-houses/

I don't know if these Folding Showers are in production or not. It is a concept by French company Supiot. And I don't know how big they are. I'd talk with SMB Texas as the previous poster noted.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #9

[quote="Davidboco"]I do know that I want a poptop and a need a shower. I plan to get the recessed shower pan. (Anyone have a recessed shower in their sprinter RB?)
I want to build a low roof campervan with a bathroom shower in the back and came up with the following idea:
Install a cassette toilet in the back similar to this(https://www.vanspecialties.com/gallery_ ... ing-block/) and then build a shower pan over the spare tire well and fabricate a sliding enclosure similar to a Rialta RV bath ()
I have a 4x4 sprinter on pre-order and that's my plan.
Jon
jme3505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #10

@jme3505 - thanks for sharing those links. I like the cassette toilet concept.
I hadn't looked at a Rialto before and it has some nice design features that I'd like to incorporate as well into a future build, like the dinette to bed conversion.
The hidden shower pan is something I've penciled in as well so you don't have a dedicated bath stall that takes up a lot of room. I'm missing something with the sliding/expanding bath concept. Why?
Is that to give you more privacy for using the toilet and shower but stays compact when not in use?
I can't see you sliding that thing out every time you want to use the toilet, especially if no one is around. For shower use, a curtain works pretty well as long as it directs water back into the pan.
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote