Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #1

Just spec'd a 4x4 170" WB 3500 for $63,214...

Thoughts on the 2015s?
The 4x4 system?

I really want to go test drive a 4x4 Sprinter but I don't have the time. Perfect weather for it out here too.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Just spec'd a 4x4 170" WB 3500 for $63,214...

Something like this one I saw today?

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Very cool Ramsey.

Herb
Old 01-02-2015, 09:14 PM   #4

Bigger inside than my van, and lower entry than my van... plus they have "crew cab" seating, although I would rather have 4 up captains chairs than the captains+bench that the crew version comes with. It's just a pipe dream, I'll have to suffer with my current rig until the 4x4s start winding up on the used market...
Old 01-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #5

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

They have a lot in common with the 6.0L - always in the Dealership.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Ramsey- because they are at the dealerships getting fixed? prone to problems? Engine, 4X4 drivetrain, chassis or......?
Did I read in another thread of issues the sprinters were having in commercial applications? We're kinda keeping an eye out for our "future" rig, something that would be more suitable to longer term and full time use.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:25 AM   #7

Re: Just spec'd a 4x4 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Ramsey- because they are at the dealerships getting fixed? prone to problems? Engine, 4X4 drivetrain, chassis or......?
Did I read in another thread of issues the sprinters were having in commercial applications? We're kinda keeping an eye out for our "future" rig, something that would be more suitable to longer term and full time use.
I would recommend against it. I'm pretty close to our mechanics at work and the newer Sprinters seem to be nothing but trouble. It mostly has to do with the DEF system and all of the computerized 'safety' features fighting each other, DSC (dynamic stability control?), ABS, traction control, etc. Almost always a check engine light on in them, and if that bothers you beware. Now keep in mind ours aren't treated like someone's baby, they are ridden hard and put up wet. Our vehicles are driven with a 'switch' for the throttle usually, either fully on or fully off. My close friend, arguably our best mechanic, says he wouldn't own one newer than a T1N (the first Sprinters with the inline 5-cyl diesel). I'm not against Sprinters, in fact I love them and wish the first generation could be converted easily and that the newer ones had a better reputation. Also, I know nothing about the brand new factory 4x4 ones except I would think with 4x added they would be even more complex and prone to trouble and check engine lights. As soon as we get some of the 4x4's in I'll be paying close attention, but honestly we probably won't get more than a couple if any here. What I wonder is how many 6.0 owners would buy one again after all of the trouble and money spent, and it seems like the Sprinters will be the same.

I'm more curious to see what comes with the Transit, and hoping Dodge soon gives that hideous Promaster a facelift.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Thanks for that, kind of a bummer, it's a great sized platform. Just saw a transit here the other day, looks better than the promaster in my opinion, we'll see what comes of it with conversions.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #9

I think that these issues will get worked out rather quickly. I read / heard somewhere that UPS or FedEx is converting their trucks to Sprinters. My guess the recent 4X4 option had a lot to do with it. I'd put money on seeing a whole lot more Sprinters with and without 4X4 in the near future.
Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #10

Re: Just spec'd a 4x4 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer
I think that these issues will get worked out rather quickly. I read / heard somewhere that UPS or FedEx is converting their trucks to Sprinters. My guess the recent 4X4 option had a lot to do with it. I'd put money on seeing a whole lot more Sprinters with and without 4X4 in the near future.
Well, they haven't yet. I work for Fedex, and we have bought tons of Sprinters in the last few years. Leased them, actually, but I think we own the leasing company. No, I can't explain it. I don't think they've been bought for any other reason except to make the company look more green. I mean, they aren't saving money on them because they seem to always be broken. We lose money renting vans from Enterprise while our regular vans are out of service. Anyway, I'm in the mountains but also in the South so we won't get very many if any compared to the north and western states. Reliable or not, I think they're here to stay, especially with the demise of the Econoline. I have never seen a UPS Sprinter though. In this part of the world they still use their old package cars mostly, and some Grummans.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote