Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #1

Is Sprinter worth the extra cost?

My wife & I are trying to design a new SMB van. We started out thinking about getting a Dodge Promaster but we like the extra length available in a MB Sprinter EB. But the extra $15,000 for the van before starting the SMB conversion is daunting. (May be less, this is based on 2015 prices, 2016 not out yet.) The Sprinter is also 4" narrower.

For you Sprinter owners, do you feel the extra cost of the Sprinter is worth it in the long run?

Do you feel it's more reliable than a Dodge would be?

How difficult is it to find places for maintenance & repair? Do you use MB dealer service center?

Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

beast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #2

Re: Is Sprinter worth the extra cost?

I have the 3500 long body Promaster and I am happy with that decision.

Some considerations.

Less cost as you point out.

It is shorter than the longest Sprinter but I can get into most parking spaces without hanging out too much.

It is 4 inches wider and the floor is lower because of the front wheel drive.

The brakes do squeak. The only time it is objectionable is when pulling up to the toll booth with the window down.

I can get fuel at any service station and don't need the additive.

My gas engine can idle forever without damage.

For some unknown reason gas is cheaper than diesel.

I can get service at almost any Dodge dealer. I did discover that some Dodge dealers don't service "RAM". They will do oil changes but can't do warranty service or parts replacement.

I do wish it had the Sprinters tilt steering wheel and a left drivers arm rest.

Hope that helps.....
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHitt
It is 4 inches wider and the floor is lower because of the front wheel drive.
Hmm, want 4x4, but 4" wider is HUGHE.

Quote:
My gas engine can idle forever without damage.
FWIW (possibly nothing), I'm not convinced of that with my Ford v10.

Quote:
For some unknown reason gas is cheaper than diesel.
Well, it does have significantly less energy content than diesel, so on average, you'd think it would be cheaper.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:54 AM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Have you considered the Ford Transit with Quigley's 4X4, looks to be a nice option, SMB Indiana is working on one now
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:30 AM   #5

Hi beast3,

Here's my 2 cents:

We love our Sprinter EB. We are currently at 45k miles, going on 200k. My view is that if you are anticipating that kind of long term, you won't even notice the extra $. We've had no major issues but acknowledge that MB service is expensive. The 2012 (ours) requires 10,000 mile service intervals, the 15,000 interval will help.

We live 4 to 5 hours away from the nearest MB dealers but have found it easy to schedule service during trips.

Having never driven the competition I can only say that I love the diesel power and the overall driving comfort of the Sprinter. I've never owned a vehicle that I could drive in comfort all day long. Narrow is good, I don't hesitate to drive the Sprinter on any city street or narrow highway.

In regard to the cost of diesel, on our recent 5k mi/ 2 month trip through California I found the cost of diesel to be 60 to 90 cents per gallon lower than gas.

Check out my gallery for details of our build, PM me if you have specific questions. Good travels to you!

JIM

-light of the morning, looking for shelter in this thunder and this rain

2012 SMB Sprinter, 2500 EB Tall, Brilliant Silver Metalic
12vdc no inverter, 180 w Permanent Solar, 120 w Portable Solar
Queen platform bed
(Delivery Taken 7/23/12) NM 31357RVB
JayBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #6

having a Sprinter for 3 years but only 30,000 miles. i have had zero reliability problems. I can get service by non dealers. I just top up additive (DEF) in every 6,000 miles. The service light only came on when I had no idea how long a tank of additive would last (actually 9,000 miles). It is as easy as adding a quart of oil. If the service light comes on you still have over 400 miles to add it. DEF is available everywhere and is cheap.

When pricing out the vehicles. A lot of stuff is standard on Sprinter but not the Promaster. The last time I checked them out there was only $1,000 difference by the time I added all the options up. The Promaster has more basic models. Now if you don’t need/want the options go with Promaster.

As mentioned before look at the Transit as well.

My only complaints are: do not get heavy duty suspension - too stiff even FedEx adds extra weight
(steel plates) to get better handling
stepping in is tall
go with the 4.10 rear end.

If I was buying again I would look at the competition but most likely go back to MB
DrJim is offline   Reply With Quote