Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #1

Refrigerator Cabinet Cooling Fan

Last summer I replaced the cooler that was in a cabinet with a Truckfridge. One thing I noticed was that under normal temperatures, 75 and below, the fridge drew around 2.5 amps. As the temperature warmed up the into the 90s the fridge would draw more and more power. The highest I saw it was close to 4 amps. There was not a lot of ventilation in the cabinet behind the fridge so this year I added a cabinet circulation fan tied into the Truckfridge cooling fan. Now both fans run when the fridge comes on. The video in the link shows how it was done.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #2

Re: Refrigerator Cabinet Cooling Fan

So, how many amps does the fridge now draw when the temp is 90 deg? Good video.
johnolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #3

Unknown. Need some hot days to find out. The fan that I added draws in the tenth of an amp range so am not worried about adding to the amp draw.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #4

Great idea and execution. Thanks for the video.

I haven't noticed the amps increasing on my Norcold but I have noticed that the cabinet can get pretty warm, it runs more frequently, and there's even less room for ventilation in mine. Adding forced ventilation *could* make a big difference. I'd be curious to know how much you think your mods improve your efficiency when you get some warm weather.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #5

Didn't jage do this?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #6

Very cool idea and great video Larrie! I'm also curious for an update after you've used it awhile. A Truckfridge is getting closer to the top of my upgrade list.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #7

It is about 60 and rain here. It will be a while before it warms up. Will report back on the results once we get some hot weather
Old 05-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #8

The Badgers added circulation vents to theirs, as well as extra insulation.

http://www.badgertrek.com/sportsmobile/appliances.shtml
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #9

Putting an extra fan in my refr cabinet has be on my to do list for a long time. When we first got our SMB I followed the Badger's lead and drilled several holes in the side and top of that cabinet to increase air flow to the back of the refr. I also added some extra insolation. Even with those improvements, the ref cycles to much when is gets up into the 90s.
Here are some pics of the holes I put in the top of the refr cabinet. These holes let the hot air come up and out from back of the refr and then out of the cabinet through a large gap in the back of the cabinet were the window goes below the counter top. I can really feel it coming out of there when it gets warm. But this is still just passive air flow.

The holes on the side, I thought would increase the air flow in. More in means more out.

With my solar panels, I'm not so worried about the power usage but it would be great to have less run time.
I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of improvement this fan gives you. Pushing air or pulling air out, I'm sure will have a bigger effect then passive air flow.

Thanks for the inspiration and video.

Cheers,
John
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #10

Have you considered using computer case fans over those holes? They are 12v, come in 80, 120, and 200mm sizes and cost from $5 to $15 at Newegg.