Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #1

Where to find Mylar window sunshades with small suction cups

I saw someone with small custom mylar (like a sun shade for front window) sunshades for the Ford Van/s. They had small suction cups that held them in place..Does anyone know who makes these or where to get them?

Thanks, GPCB

GoProCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Where to find Mylar window sunshades with small suction

I always heard that suction cups can mess up aftermarket add on type window tinting. Could be a load of BS I was told too but I'd make sure if you've had that done. Factory tinted glass is a different story I would think. I had suction cups on a front windshield shade. They didn't last long and in heat they would pop off but they were small ones.

Anybody know for sure about the tint?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Windshield shades from the place below are not held in place by suction cups (no need, use sun visors instead), but their side window shades do have suction cups. I have these for my Excursion, but Ex's come with factory tinted side windows so no film.

I did have these for the windshield on our SMB, and our front two doors which were tinted with film. Never had an issue. Bad and/or old window film, I could potentially see a problem.

https://www.heatshieldstore.com/

Herb
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #4

We have these on both our SMB and our Jetta Sportwagon. I definitely recommend them, but they are a "permanent" solution as the edges are held in place by adhesive.

http://www.eclipsesunshades.net/
Old 09-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I always heard that suction cups can mess up aftermarket add on type window tinting. Could be a load of BS I was told too but I'd make sure if you've had that done. Factory tinted glass is a different story I would think.

Anybody know for sure?
I've used suction cups on tint for years, mostly for radar detector mounts. No problems ever.

Amazon has cheap suction cups for any purpose if you want to add them to the shades you have. I have added some to my front Reflectix piece since it doesn't stay very well with the visors.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
We have these on both our SMB and our Jetta Sportwagon. I definitely recommend them, but they are a "permanent" solution as the edges are held in place by adhesive.

http://www.eclipsesunshades.net/
Could you post a pic of the one used on your SMB? The site just shows cars. I'm mainly curious what they look like stowed away (on the sides). I'm curious if they interfere with your vision by making the a-pillar a little bigger/wider when they are stowed?

Thanks

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Could you post a pic of the one used on your SMB? The site just shows cars. I'm mainly curious what they look like stowed away (on the sides). I'm curious if they interfere with your vision by making the a-pillar a little bigger/wider when they are stowed?

Thanks

Here is a topic from many years back. Panion took some great pictures, they are exactly like mine. They probably do make the pillars slightly bigger, but not enough to effect your vision, nor should that keep you from getting them.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...&hilit=eclipse
Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #8

Thanks all for the wonderful links and information. I am sorry I was looking for side and back window applications. I do like the front options as well. I saw some that stuck to the side and back windows that looked like they worked well. Van was parked and the owner was not around. THanks, GPCB
Old 09-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
Site Team

They won't have them for the custom windows, but HeatShield may have them for the standard van door windows. I'm almost sure they have them for the front door windows, not sure about the barn and rear doors. You won't them listed on their website though, you need to call.

Have a full set for our Excursion, which are great for heat control and privacy. I don't always carry the full set since they do take up a fair amount of room (windshield, front doors, second row of doors, rear cargo side windows, rear hatch window).

Lost a suction cup or two on on SMB set (they occasionally get caught up on somehting when moving them around) and called them up to buy some replacement suction cups. They sent them to me free of charge, no quesitons asked.

Herb
Old 09-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #10

Million thanks for the info. Will look into.

GPCB