Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #1

What seats will fit?

I have a 2003 E350. I found some seats out of a 91 Ford Palm Springs Edition camper van. They have a swivel seat base which I am looking for. Wondering if they would be direct bolt in or what kind of mods would be needed.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #2

Re: What seats will fit?

74 views and nothing? Does everyone do custom bases for the seats they install?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage

There is a thread or two about this on the site somewhere and even a member that makes them although I don't know if they are for sale. There is a liability factor to consider. If I find the thread I'll post the link. Finding a specific model to fit your seat might be difficult. Maybe an adaptor or purchase a seat with the base.

Good luck

[edit] viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11993

using swivel in the search brings up several posts to look through.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #4

VanDam,

IMHO I don't think they will fit your 03 without modifications and/or drilling new holes. Awhile back I harvested 3 out 4 Ford factory swivel seat bases from an 89 E150 Chateau van. These were the heavy gauge bases weighing about 25lbs each. I thought I could use them on my 06 vans but once I got them home I quickly discovered that it wasn't a simple swap. The 4 holes on the base didn't line up with the 4 holes on the floor. With enough thought and a trip to the metal superstore I probably could've fashioned up something but my time is limited (single dad, stressful job) so I decided to pass. I ended up giving them away to a couple of forum members, one in Oregon and one in Arizona. Oregon guy needed a swivel for his cool class C so matching it up to existing holes wasn't a problem. Arizona guy had a friend fab up a heavy guage adapter plate to mate up the differences in hole placement.

Hope this help,
Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #5

Definitely helpful. Thanks for the advice. I will continue my search!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #6

After years of service, the OEM seats in our 2001 EB needed to be replaced or repaired. We went to a local custom van dealer, found some seats in a similar van that we liked, and had him order and install them. Since he was in the business of upgrading vans (more seats, lifted top, etc.), he knew that they would fit.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #7

I'm gonna start a thread on my van RE-build shortly. I have a growing family with friends and kids so our rig is going to be less designed around typical sportsmobile stuff and more as a transporter / man rig for my solo outing. I go hunting and fishing a bit along with kayaking so the interior need for me are really simple. A minimum of 8 Seats that "Must Face Forward" kids and friends complained like crazy about my old set up with side facing gauchos. So the new rig will have attwood bench seats that fold down, 2 cabinets, one for simple storage and one for electrical etc... Then the rear will have a large space that will have a big waterproof storage area for game and other wet stuff that is messy.

I will post up here when I get more photos of the seat install. Generally I am going to re-inforce all the bolts into the crossmembers of the van, with an additional 1/4" sheet of steel then washers, lock washers and nuts. I considered welding the re-inforcement plates into the floor on the under side while my tank is removed but decided against that since the sheet metal of these vans is so thin I don't like the idea of heating the whole surface up. I am going to just tack weld them in place for final install.

Photos to Follow.
1980 Vanagon Westy (Taylor)
ProfessorPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote