Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #1

Retrofitting day/night blinds? Worth it? How to?

My 98 Ford EB has the SMB curtains rather than day/night blinds. Having never actually seen the blinds "in action" in person, I'm curious if anyone can comment on how well they actually block light, how well they work, etc.

I've been thinking about retrofitting the blinds in place of the curtains I currently have, mainly for convenience during the day and being able to let light in and still have some privacy in parking lots, etc. For sleeping the curtains do a great job of blocking light. I mean, when everything is closed it is DARK inside, but that same positive can be a negative during the day when we just want some privacy. Kind of silly to have to turn on lights inside at high noon on a sunny day when we pull the curtains.

For anyone who has added the blinds after the build, how hard is it to do? It looks like my plastic window trim panels have a molded in place for them. Does SMB add a valance or anything to them? We also have two slider windows in the rear.

Any thoughts, hints, or photos would be most helpful. Thanks!

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Retrofitting day/night blinds? Worth it? How to?

Have you had a chance to read the 'rebuilding' thread about the d/n blinds? Lots of good pictures.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=9781&hilit=blinds

FWIW, I always thought the blinds were rather clunky, but they very convenient and you don't have to find room to pack them away.

Herb
Old 02-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #3

Actually seeing this thread inspired me to yank out the SMB curtains I've had in my van since I bought it in 2001. It finally (I'm slow, sorry) dawned on me I could get several square inches of view if they were gone. Not to mention the dust they collect, and that they weren't particularly effective. I suspect the blinds might be better, except for the dust issue.

Now I just use a bunch of Reflectix to block the windows if I need privacy, insulation, and/or screening from the sun. Makes me kinda feel like I'm in a burrito, but works great. I started with carefully formed shapes with attachment via hook and loop, but then just chucked that and just cram roughly shaped pieces in. Works just as well, and I use them for other purposes and I'll just throw in more when they start to wear.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Have you had a chance to read the 'rebuilding' thread about the d/n blinds? Lots of good pictures.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=9781&hilit=blinds

FWIW, I always thought the blinds were rather clunky, but they very convenient and you don't have to find room to pack them away.

Herb
Thanks. I did see that thread. If anyone has them, I'd be interested in pics of how SMB installs them on the aftermarket windows (e.g., sliders).
Old 03-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #5

I'm searching for the "shrouds" that I would call window trim panels. The aftermarket ones have extensions that allow mounting of shades.

Any ideas?
Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Actually seeing this thread inspired me to yank out the SMB curtains I've had in my van since I bought it in 2001. It finally (I'm slow, sorry) dawned on me I could get several square inches of view if they were gone. Not to mention the dust they collect, and that they weren't particularly effective. I suspect the blinds might be better, except for the dust issue.

Now I just use a bunch of Reflectix to block the windows if I need privacy, insulation, and/or screening from the sun. Makes me kinda feel like I'm in a burrito, but works great. I started with carefully formed shapes with attachment via hook and loop, but then just chucked that and just cram roughly shaped pieces in. Works just as well, and I use them for other purposes and I'll just throw in more when they start to wear.
I totally agree. The SMB shades (IMHO) are over-designed, under-engineered, dust-collecting pieces of c**p. A complicated solution to a simple problem.

The Reflectrix is remarkably durable. Most of my pieces are 3+ yrs old and I haven't had to junk one yet. If they start to get loose at the edges, I stiffen them with a strip of Gorilla tape.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #7

I guess we'll stick with our curtains! Generally, they work pretty well, although the tabs occasionally break and we have to have them resewn. We do have Reflectix for all the windows, too, but that doesn't allow for much (any) airflow during the night. With the curtains it's easy to close them up tight when we go to bed, but then open them in the middle of the night once it's nice and dark and the CG is quiet.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #8

I love my day/night blinds. I only use the day ones to block sun. In the build, I ordered limo tinted windows. After I got home, I had the passenger and driver door windows and the window shield tinted. I have checked. You cannot see me inside of my SMB during the day.

Sportsmobile West had the limo tint film added to the barn door windows in the build. Thank goodness because when a rock hit it it did not shatter and injure the person inside, 12 inches away.

So check and see if tinted is cheaper/easier than installing day/night shades. I also have the SMB snap on curtains that come in handy in the cold or heat as the day/night ones provide no insulation.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs

I have day/night blinds and like them very much. I tend to run with them in full shade 100% of the time. Especially nice in the desert