Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #1

Sunflair Solar oven video

http://youtu.be/PqlyEF3GUkg My first meal from the oven.

stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Sunflair Solar oven video

How does the outside temperatures affect the cooking?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #3

I think it could effect this cooker because it has no insulation of note but you could probably clip a heavy towel or something to it. The ambient temperature while I was cooking was about 80° f.. There is video on YouTube of a guy cooking in Michigan during winter with a big cooker and getting 300° . Radiation is what heats it not outside temperature.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
Radiation is what heats it not outside temperature.
Provided it can deal with heat loss. Most of the spots I visit rarely reach the 80's so I was just curious.

I think they're very cool and would be great in a bug out bag.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #5

30 day return policy. I think mine might've been a return. I opted for the $80 one. It was perfect.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:26 AM   #6

Think I'll stick to dutch ovens and charcoal.

I did hear him say 200F at 9:30ish in the morning but did not hear 300F. If it did that would have probably been peek temperature during the day around 1 o'clock. If it was "Michigan winter" it would have been 30F or lower outside, he would not have been in a short sleeve shirt. None of the pots were steaming when he took the lid off.....even a electric slow cooker outside on winter day would be steaming. Outside ambient temperature would directly subtract from the solar cooking temperature unless the cooker was heavily insulated, even then you would need a therm-pane window facing the sun to reduce ambient heat loss. I think in winter with low sun angle there is a very high probability that you would spend many hours on the toilet after eating chicken 'cooked' with that.

Probably be OK in area of the country that has very high percentage of clear sky.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #7

I live in Southern California(SoCal). Highest temp I have achieved so far is a little under 250°.Ambient temp 80°. I ate the food cooked to no ill effect. I bought because we use crock pot to cook quite regularly. I thought the portable version would be a good way to get started and so far it is. If 300 plus degrees is what you need then there are more substantial ovens out there but for portability this cannot be beat. Unfortunately it is to late in the season to try out in cool temperatures. Dutch ovens are great ways to cook but this takes no energy source except the sun and causes no emissions. I think that would at least warrant a try. Before I bought this oven I tried an experiment using tin foil and an umbrella chair. I call it the hot seat (t.m.). I cooked a burger and that inspired me to buy the oven. Tomorrow I'm trying beans from scratch. So far I have cooked from raw but can see how this oven can even more ably cook canned goods..I wasn't sure of the temps achieved so i fed the the burger to the dogs(they loved it).Pasturization is achieved higher than 150 degrees fahrenheit so It was probably ok but not willing to take a chance.
Attached Thumbnails
HOTSEATburger.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #8

cost-of-foil far exceeds propane...
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #9

It would be good to do at least the experimental cooking with a digital cooking thermometer. At least something so you can tell what the final temperature is in the product you are cooking. We have one that is like a needle and stick it in when you want to chk the temperature. That though would require unzipping the cover and losing heat. we also have one on a 3 foot cord that you can put the probe end into the oven and leave it The readout stays outside of the oven and the door does not need to be opened to get a reading.

Montezuma is NOT your friend.

Measure the actual temp!!!

Why not soup it up ..... into a convection oven. Add a 4w 12volt computer fan on a small solar panel. If the goal is to get room temp food up to say 165F or 185F, before the sun sets, in an oven that is at best 200-250F then add a fan to decrease the heat up time. Would only work in a unit that had a sealed cover though, like the one being tried above.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #10

If you watched my video then you would know I cooked everything from raw including pork and ate it (living like a bullfighter)from the oven with no problems.We put it in the crock pot just to make it more tender.I would have cooked it several hours more to achieve tenderness but I had to go play a concert.Summer is coming and we will have much longer cooking hours.I did fool around with angle and got temp up to 285 degrees.