Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #1

Should I repair the Fridge

Fridge just stop cooling, I have an 06 Ford with its original SMB unit. Is there someone in SoCal that can ck it? Rather not spend the $$ with a new reoplacemt and the Fridge is otherwise in great condition.

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Should I repair the Fridge

Here's a thread that may help.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7219&hilit=norcold+blade

For me, re-doing the electrical connections solved my problems.

Herb
Old 05-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #3

I'm not sure what specifically you mean by your fridge just stopped cooling (meaning it won't turn on; it turns on but the compressor doesn't run; the compressor runs but doesn't cool; etc.?) but here's what happened to me a few weeks ago and how I fixed it, if it helps:

I turned the fridge (Norcold DC0051) off at the dial after our last trip in January. I turned it on two weeks before our next trip in April. It turned on and the compressor would run but wouldn't cool at all. I tried kick starting it by stuffing it with frozen items. It kinda seemed like it worked but was really just the illusion of those items cooling the fridge down. I noticed the compressor would not turn off, no matter how low the dial thermostat went, and ran continuously. I checked all electrical connections and voltages. I followed Norcold's electrical troubleshooting guide to a T (it is listed somewhere on the forum here) and everything seemed to work. A couple days before our trip I did a final troubleshoot before giving in and getting an ARB fridge: I found a couple posts recommending "burping" the fridge (turn it upside down for a few minutes) and found one post somewhere about using an orbital sander (without the sanding pad) against the cooling coils in the back. I did both and it started cooling immediately and the ice box iced up within minutes. It even seemed to cool better than it had before.

Personally, I attribute it to the orbital sander loosening whatever sediment may have occurred in the cooling lines (the post I had read mentioned something about the cooling tubes being laminated on the inside, but I don't know enough about how they're made beyond an "it's plausible"). In any case, I'm not overly happy with the fridge but I'm happy I still get to decide when to replace it rather than it making the decision.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Also, when I was determined to find a non-Norcold replacement, I couldn't find a suitable fridge to fit in its place. That was a big motivation in pulling the fridge and redoing the electrical connections.

Herb
Old 05-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #5

Herb: yeah, same here. The ARB I was looking at (50 quart one) seemed like a better fridge but not a great fit physically; I'd have to get a smaller one than I'd wanted, it was going to be a fair amount of work to make it fit on a slide, and be more expensive. The upside being better reliability than the Norcold, hopefully. Still postponing that project until I absolutely have to.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:14 PM   #6

As described the compressor turns on and run continuously yet not cooling at all. I guess I'm trying the orbital technique tomorrow am
Old 05-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #7

Took it out, its a 12v units (no propane), Its a Norcold DE-0751, im told the cooling units is no longer avail. Anyone out there with a units with bad power pack perhaps still good compressor - cooling units.

Alternative whats the best direct replacement for it in a 2006 SMB.

Tks J
Old 05-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #8

Sorry to hear you couldn't get it kick-started. I was hoping it would work for you. No leads for you on a repair or direct replacement. I was going to replace mine with an ARB but it is not a direct replacement and would require a completely different mounting system and access. Plus it is smaller too.