Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

bent roof lift cross arms

Anybody know a good way to straighten bent lift cross arms? I have a 91 E-250, manual lift roof. My arms are bent about 2"-3" on the rear facing arm which makes the rear of the roof hit 1st and puts stress on the front turnbuckle when lowering. The van roof has developed metal tears from this. I straightened the arms a bit when I bought the van 10 years ago but didn't do a real good job and they seem to have bent more. The front facing bars are bent some also. Thanks, Lance

Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: bent roof lift cross arms

There are a number of posts about the situation, and you should be able to fairly easily find them with a search.

Herb
Old 06-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #3

Herb, I had tried a bit to search my problem but didn't come up with the correct search word for my issue. Do you have any idea what the best way to proceed might be? Also should I leave the search selection dots where they appear? Thanks so much...Lance
Old 06-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
Herb, I had tried a bit to search my problem but didn't come up with the correct search word for my issue. Do you have any idea what the best way to proceed might be? Also should I leave the search selection dots where they appear? Thanks so much...Lance
Search "bent", scroll past this thread, go to the thread that says "Bent Penthouse Top Bows". You will find your solution there.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #5

Thanks, found it easily! Turns out, I also used a handy man jack shaft the 1st time but didn't put a block of wood in to bend it past straight. I'll get to it. Lance
Old 06-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #6

Success, I straightened all bows. Rear facing had 5"+ sag, front 3". I picked up 4"-6" more headroom and the roof lands evenly. One rear corner seems to be forward 1", hits slope of roof a bit. Probably not an issue but wonder if that's normal. The other corner was so far off that it wore a hole in the van roof, but lines up perfect now. Thanks...Lance
Old 06-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
Lance,

I hope I didn't come across too harshly, it's just that many people (especially new guys) come here and want answers without taking the time to search first. It wasn't apparent that you had searched prior to posting. Glad you found what you needed, and glad you were able to fix your situation so quickly.

Herb
Old 06-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #8

No problem Herb, thanks for your concern. I'm just a retired farmer who isn't to swift with computers. I check the forum daily and always enjoy your observations and responses. Thanks again Lance
Old 09-14-2014, 08:29 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

FYI

Sportsmobile now has a rig designed to straighten bent PH scissor arms !
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
FYI

Sportsmobile now has a rig designed to straighten bent PH scissor arms !
For sale to the public or in their shop?

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote