Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #1

Garage
1995 RB30 - Replacement Brass Plumbing Fittings?

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a reasonably-well-maintained 1995 Ford E250 Sportsmobile a couple weeks ago with the RB30 floor plan, and have been spending a lot of time going through the vehicle top-to-bottom making sure everything is good-to-go for going adventuring.

Yesterday I went to flush/sanitize/refill the under-couch water tank, and found that the drain valve had it's petcock handle snapped off. (Please see picture.) I was able to run the sink and drain almost all the water out of the tank that way, and then remove the shutoff valve assembly from the elbow joint. (again, please see picture.)

Is this hardware something that I can find and replace? It would be fantastic to be able to just thread a new wingnut-style valve fitting down into the old brass elbow joint, as all of the rest of it seems just fine. A trip to Home Depot, Camping World, and the most major local RV Repair shop have all struck out for me so far. (Home Depot had stuff that looked CLOSE....but what Home Depot had was SAE/inch threaded, and this original Sportsmobile hardware appears to be metric.)

Any advice on where I might find this replacement hardware?
Thanks so much guys!!!!

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
1995_SMB_Water_Drain_Valve_Dissassembled.jpg  

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #2

Re: 1995 RB30 - Replacement Brass Plumbing Fittings?

Hmm...looks like a PEX valve. Did you check that department at Home Depot? Just a thought. Barry
lonepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #3

Garage

Lonepeak -- Thanks for the "Pex" input.
That just guided me to another online search, and I found this great SMB Forum thread on the topic from back in 2008.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1173

It's indeed Pex!

Curious why the guys at Home Depot were so puzzled by it.
I'll be going back there again to see what I can wrangle today after work.

Cheers/Much Thanks,
Old 08-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #4

Some of those fittings might be hard to come by locally, depending on your local laws.. in SF, by code, supply lines need to be copper, drains need to be cast.. so PVC and pex etc have limited supplies at the shops around. I'd try the almighty internet.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer
...Curious why the guys at Home Depot were so puzzled by it....
Wait a second. You actually found a Home Depot employee, and they even tried to help? A miracle.

The HD around here, you're on your own.

Herb
Old 08-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #6

It's not PEX, but it's the same size as PEX. Do you have Lowe's near you? Lowe's stocks Appolo Pex fittings (in little yellow packages, easy to find on the plumbing aisle). You'll have to get their crimper too, or borrow one or something, but you just need a 1/2 PEX fitting. FYI, I have added a lot of PEX to my 95 SMB and it is great stuff. It doesn't leak and it won't burst if it freezes. I have NEVER seen a petcock elbow though. You might have to add a regular elbow and a valve, which might fit better under the floor.

You could get something like this though and just put a section of water hose on it through the floor.

http://www.dahlvalve.com/products/mi...221-PX3-04.php
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #7

Garage

BroncoHauler - Hah! Yeah, must have been a fluke. (In fairness........the HD guys/ladies do a pretty good job around here in Orange County. They actually ask you if you need help, if you look lost. But I'm not so naive as to believe this is the case everywhere.....)

86Scotty --- Thanks tons. I'll hit up Lowe's as well. I had scoured both the HD and Lowes web pages and found no combination elbow shutoff valves either.

Looks like a new arrangement, ideally as you're suggesting, that uses simply a ball-valve and then straight PEX flex-hose out the floor could indeed be a great (and simpler) solution.

Before I tear stuff apart though:
When pulling things apart.....I like to know as much as possible ahead of time, so I must ask (and I ask this of anyone that might know): How is the existing, first brass elbow joint bonded into the actual water tank plastic? (See updated picture)

Can anyone speak to whether this indicated elbow joint fitting is:

1) threaded in there with a (drinking-water-safe) thread adhesive, such that it's effectively "permanently" bonded into the tank? (and that would possibly damage the tank if I tried to remove it)

Or it simply

2) threaded in with some sort of plumbing teflon tape? (easily removable)

I'd love to just unscrew it, if it's that simple, and pop in a simple ball-valve and flex-line like you're suggesting.
Attached Thumbnails
SMB_Water_Drain_Query.jpg  
Old 08-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #8

Very good question. I would call any of the three Sportsmobile locations. They should be able to tell you that, and they may even have a petcock fitting they can send you.
Also, you should be able to just lift up your entire water tank (empty if course) and put a block of wood under it to work with the fittings more easily. Unless furniture keeps you from doing this that is. Mine was not secured to the floor and also the drain hoses and other lines aren't secured in place so you can carefully move things around. You will not cause a leak. These gray plastic and copper punch fittings are pretty tough as is the Pex replacement stuff. You can even spin (twist) them and they won't leak.
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #9

The grey tubing is not PEX as you have figured out it is actually polybutylene tubing. It was used in houses, mobile homes and RV's in the 80"s and 90"s. After class action lawsuits due to premature failures in homes and the resulting damage it is not longer used for potable water supply in buildings.

My guess is the fitting is threaded into the tank but it is a good idea to confirm this with SMB prior to putting a wrench on it and possible damaging the tank.

All thread sealers in the plumbing supply section at the hardware store should be safe for use in a potable water system. I would recommend using Teflon tape as opposed to pipe joint sealing compound or "pipe dope" to avoid possible chemical reaction with the tank which may weaken the plastic.

Cheers,
John
Old 08-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #10

Garage

John / 86Scotty --- thanks for the input!

I've got a phone call in with Peter at Sportsmobile West to see what they might suggest/offer, but haven't heard back yet. If they happened to still have some old hardware lying around from the days when they still did use that type of fitting for their builds, that would be fantastic......

Otherwise......full speed ahead, will be digging in and replacing hardware with the modern 1/2" diameter equivalent (Lowes Apollo PEX / simplified ball-valve still sounds like the best bet.)

Nothing like getting an RV to sharpen up your home renovation skillsets

Thanks again ----