Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #1

Water Leak

Over the past weekend while camping I noticed an odd leak coming from the city water hook up.

When I went to look into what or why it was leaking I found that the water was coming from the back side of the city water hookup.

Its hard to see but on the bottom left side there is a connection, not the grey 90 elbow, but right in front of it. The dust is wiped off the area where it was leaking.
This was happening while the hot water heater was running. I normally fill my water tank via the city water supply and while water hose is on I give the small valve the half turn it needs to let water fill the tank, after its full I turn the small grey handle for the valve to the off position again. Meaning if I were to turn on the garden hose it would not fill the tank. Now while it was leaking and the hot water heater was running I did turn that grey handle to the on or open position and the leaking stopped. Just to clarify, while camping we were not actually hooked up to a city water supply, so there was no pressure from an outside water supply on that hookup, we were using the filled water tank while dry camping.
Have I been using this incorrectly or do I just have a bad piece of water equipment?
Tracey

Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #2

Re: Water Leak

First, I don't know if it makes a difference, but we always turn the valve on the water tank to the fill or open position first and then turn on the City water source. As soon as water is leaking under the van from the overflow (meaning the that tank is full), we turn off the City water source and then close the valve on the inside water tank.

I've had a similar leak. It only happens (and only occasionally) when the water heater is running...water puddles on the ground under the City water connection. I haven't been able to figure out exactly where the water is coming from and it isn't consistent enough to be able to replicate it once we are home...
Old 08-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #3

I know the city water fill has a pressure regulator built in to protect the plumbing system. When water is heated it will expand and if there is no expansion/accumulator tank to abosrb the expansion it will cause a spike in the water pressure. The leak may be water bleeding from the regulator once the pressure exceeds its maximum level. (Just a theory)

Cheers,
John
Old 08-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #4

Mine leaks too, but not enough to bother me. I think they just crack and give up over time. It's a pretty common RV part and not hard to swap out if you get tired of the leak, unless of course John is right and then it won't do any good. FWIW, it sounds plausible to me but I know mine is just old and gone.

https://www.dyersonline.com/shurflo-...ater-fill.html

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #5

These are all good thoughts and ideas. Im going to try and replicate it again and try a few things. It does look like an easy fix if necessary. It doesn't leak enough to be an issue but I always like to stay on top of any issues big or small.
Thank you
Tracey