Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #1

Starcool III issues - help needed

I...err rallypanam...recently replaced the line that runs from under the hood to the auxiliary condenser. I was thinking about taking the van in to have the entire system checked out and charged up on Friday. While poking around today, I found some other problems. I tested the AC with the van running and while plugged in to shore power, separately. Both systems running, all breakers on, rear thermostat on max cool, etc.

The auxiliary condenser fan is apparently seized up. Noticed it wasn’t spinning so I shut everything down and tried spinning it with a screwdriver. It won’t move more than about 1/2” in either direction.

Then I went crawling around underneath a little more and noticed that one of the three hoses coming off the compressor wasn’t connected to anything. There’s a lot going on under there since this is the van that someone tore the generator out of without really cleaning up after themselves.

The line running from the auxiliary condenser (4) to the compressor (3) looks fine, and the line running across the van from the evaporator/blower (1) looks good. But the third line, which apparently should be running from the compressor up to a T-fitting near the factory compressor, is just open without any obvious place to connect to.

The idea then became to isolate the Starcool system completely and charge up the factory AC for Labor Day camping, and worry about the Starcool later. Looking at the SMB manual, it doesn’t look like this can be done by simply capping off the line that runs from under the hood to the auxiliary condenser since there’s one line running up front from the evaporator/blower and the disconnected/cut one that should be running up front from the compressor.

Any ideas on where to start with this mess? I tried taking photos but it’s really hard to get good pics up under there.

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #2

Re: Starcool III issues - help needed

I was actually going to do this once, and did a lot of research into it. I actually even purchase a part that, i thought I need to get back to stock. Let me look around and see where I put all that stuff.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #3

Thanks Greg!

Forgot to mention that after we installed the new line (bottom right of the above pic), rallypanam and I put in one 20oz can of AC Pro Cold which seemed to help a little bit. I assume that's got to be leaking out of the hose coming out of the Starcool compressor, but there is coolish air coming out of both systems. I'm hesitant to waste money on another $40 can of that stuff but really don't want to cross the Central Valley for Labor Day with the windows down. We'll be camping at 3,500 feet with 95/65 temps but I suspect it'll be well over 100 getting there and back.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #4

Both my aux fans were seized and I had to replace them last summer. I think I posted the part number and model on the forum somewhere. I'm on Tapatalk now or else I'd search it for you. Not a hard fix, but it did take some time because of rusted bolts, having a front receiver hitch, etc.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Both my aux fans were seized and I had to replace them last summer. I think I posted the part number and model on the forum somewhere. I'm on Tapatalk now or else I'd search it for you. Not a hard fix, but it did take some time because of rusted bolts, having a front receiver hitch, etc.
From this thread? viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9555

Rallypanam shot me that link today

edit: By "both" you mean one fan up front and one underneath, right? Do Danhard's have two fans underneath?
Old 08-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #6

Yes, that's the thread. I have a link to where I got mine toward the end, and I think somebody else also posted another part number.

I have a Starcool II (I think, can't recall 100%). It has one underneath, and one in front of the radiator. The radiator one actually starting melting the wiring that ran to it because the motor was trying to turn but the fan wasn't moving, so I guess it was drawing a lot of amps or something. Kept blowing the fuse and finally started smoking (wires) when I had it on to troubleshoot. Glad I saw the smoke right away!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Yes, that's the thread. I have a link to where I got mine toward the end, and I think somebody else also posted another part number.

I have a Starcool II (I think, can't recall 100%). It has one underneath, and one in front of the radiator. The radiator one actually starting melting the wiring that ran to it because the motor was trying to turn but the fan wasn't moving, so I guess it was drawing a lot of amps or something. Kept blowing the fuse and finally started smoking (wires) when I had it on to troubleshoot. Glad I saw the smoke right away!
Don't let the smoke out of the wires!!!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #8

Ok, I could not find my diagrams but took some pics.

Here is the Ford Part I purchased

It is going to go and replace

The other end will go under connect to the fitting under this.

This above 1 to 2 fitting (with check valve) is also removed One of those ends

This will also have to be removed and connect to black fitting below.

I am going off of memory from this morning when I snapped the pics, this is on a 2004 V-10, so of course there could be differences. Hope it helps, I never did the change, but at one time was thinking of changing over to the Danhard system.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #9

Hey guys, I'm new here and on a shakedown run with my SMB. (I'm overdue with a general into and pics of the rig but was hoping to do that soon).

Anyway, I have the Starcool 3, and running from Ga to MS it ran great in the back. Kids got cold.

We're just visiting relatives (who now want a SMB :-)) and I plugged into their house with an adapter. Turned on the Starcool to see if it would work on shore power. Warm air.

I hear the compressor working and see it shake as it cuts off.

I see the auxiliary condenser can is not coming on. I can slowly rotate it. I know the previous owner lived on a dirt road. Could it be grime that's keeping the fan from turning?

Do I just take off the fan housing and do a clean up?

Just asking here first because I see this is a current thread and it is nasty hot here in MS. So I thought I would try to flesh this out a little more before I go crawling around on the ground.
Ultralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #10

Greg, thanks for the photos and info!

Rallypanam and I had a more in depth look at the system today. It's actually two hoses that are cut. We blocked everything off and put some more refrigerant in. The factory A/C is cold-ish. Certainly not ideal, but it will at least help for Labor Day. Looks like it'll be a pain to get this all figured out once I get back.

Still not sure if this is related to the generator being ripped out.

Anyone recognize this? Pretty sure two of them are coolant lines for the old generator. I assumed the other two were fuel lines for the generator, but it looks like that may not be the case. I wonder if this is where the two cut AC lines are supposed to connect. Somehow I doubt it but I just don't know this stuff well enough to make an educated guess.