Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #1

Gaucho Bed

We are the proud 2nd owners of a 1994 Sportsmobile. It's in pristine condition and very comfortable with the exception of the 65" length of the gaucho bed. There appears to be an extension pillow but not a mechanism to support it. Any suggestions?

EWFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:22 AM   #2

Re: Gaucho Bed

I'd be interested in this as well, as I'd like to make a bed extension for our SMB.

I've read about bed extensions, but I've never seen pictures or how they attach to the beds. Can anybody help?
Old 03-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #3

I had a 95 with the gaucho extension capabilitiy, but no actual extension. There should be a little shelf that flips up between the drivers seat and the gaucho. It kind of looks like it would be an end table. If you have that, that is where the gaucho extension sits. If you don't have that, then you would have to make your own, but that would be assuming you have room to fit any sort of extension between the end of the guacho frame and the driver's seat.

Here is a link to a pic of one...
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewto ... =40&t=7246
Old 03-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #4

My extension has a fold down leg and 2 right angle pieces of iron. The ends of the angle iron slide into slots on the end of the bed.
oldbernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:44 PM   #5

Does anybody have a gaucho bed wider than 42 inches in the sleep position?
I'd like to know if a 48 or 50 inch wide gaucho is possible when in the sleep position.
RockRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:18 PM   #6

Can't help out on the width issue (48" would likely be right up against the opossing cabinets), but length can be accommodated on a gaucho by a driver seat that swivels either 90 or 180 degrees. Then you need a filler piece for between the driver and passenger seat, along with a cushion. If the driver seat rotates 180, it can likely slide toward the gaucho enough to fill the gap. The driver seat rotation will add about 16 to 19 inches to your gaucho.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Can't help out on the width issue (48" would likely be right up against the opossing cabinets), but length can be accommodated on a gaucho by a driver seat that swivels either 90 or 180 degrees. Then you need a filler piece for between the driver and passenger seat, along with a cushion. If the driver seat rotates 180, it can likely slide toward the gaucho enough to fill the gap. The driver seat rotation will add about 16 to 19 inches to your gaucho.
Thanks 1der,
I am considering a gaucho for my build and when talking with Sportsmobile North, they say the gaucho can only be 42 inches wide when sleeping, whereas Sportsmobile Texas told me it could be any width I want (48" is not a problem as long as it doesn't interfere with cabinets on the other side). I asked North about it and they didn't know how Texas could do it. I'm much closer to North, so would prefer to go there, but if Texas can make a wider gaucho bed, I would rather have that. I was just wondering about others with gauchos , if any are wider than 42". It seems 42 inches is not very wide for two people. Length should not be a problem with the build I am considering.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:53 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRock View Post
Thanks 1der,
I am considering a gaucho for my build and when talking with Sportsmobile North, they say the gaucho can only be 42 inches wide when sleeping, whereas Sportsmobile Texas told me it could be any width I want (48" is not a problem as long as it doesn't interfere with cabinets on the other side). I asked North about it and they didn't know how Texas could do it. I'm much closer to North, so would prefer to go there, but if Texas can make a wider gaucho bed, I would rather have that. I was just wondering about others with gauchos , if any are wider than 42". It seems 42 inches is not very wide for two people. Length should not be a problem with the build I am considering.

42" really would be a love seat! Or no love!
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #9

I too contacted north and they don't seam to do a lot of custom stuff like smb west or South. I wanted a simple interior of walls and ceiling done with a vynal finish and they won't do it. They just offer a kit finish that you can buy online for 600-800$. And they wanted to charge $2k for it. Along with that I wanted a gaucho bed for 1900$ installed. But they wouldn't make it any wider then 42 and I wanted 46-48 just to sleep 2 people semi comfortably. I have no other cabinets or anything just the gaucho bed in the back(I like to work out of totes stacked in the back for my gear) and north didn't want to accommodate my wants. If I wasn't in the north east I would have already had my interior done by west or south who would give me what I want. But because of distance I'm trying to find someone who could do my interior build for me, and get a gaucho bed from west when I do my trip to the west coast.
Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0ztkid21 View Post
they don't seam to do a lot of custom stuff
Your experience mirrors mine.