Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #1

How do you do laundry on the trail? - this device looks good

http://gizmodo.com/a-portable-washing-m ... 1700362421

So it makes me wonder, just how DO you do laundry along the way? Sock, underwear and bike shorts all are on the list of wash often items for me. This seems like a good start, but what other methods are out there?

Old 04-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #2

Re: How do you do laundry on the trail? - this device looks

Wild bear on laundry day !
Old 04-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #3

If the clothes will still fold they are not dirty. Stuff that REALLY needs washing.....dish pan (we carry three, two for washing and rinsing dishes, and a third for human use.....clothes, feet, etc.).

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #4

Garage

Not sure how many days you are away from civilization, or how many are living in the van. Also, I believe there are two basic approaches. Some folks, typically women, like to have fresh clothes on every day. Others, typically men, can wear the same things for a few days just fine. I've been out for 12 or more days and never do laundry, in fact it has never even occurred to me. I simply carry enough underwear to last the time I'm out for. If I truly need to wash something, there might be a stream nearby or a stop in a rest area or any restroom can provide a two minute in-sink wash. Cycling lycra does need quicker attention, and again, a bucket and some H2O does the trick. Doesn't have to be as perfect as the home washing machine job.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #5

Yeah, bike shorts are the number one for me. Going on a trip with just two or three and washing them regularly would probably be fine in a bucket o suds.

Socks and underwear can also be an issue, but also easy enough to being a pile of those.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #6
Site Team

If I'm on a long trip, I occasionally will plan for 1-2 nights at a KOA or RV park, and use the washing machines there. Otherwise, just pack enough underwear and I'm good.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #7

I have purchased some quick dry shirts and shorts from REI. These things just need a hand wash with a little light detergent. Hang them out to dry and next day they are good to go. I can be gone a week at a time and have most of everything in one or two pairs of pants/shorts and a few shirts. Underwear is clean each day as well as socks.
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:39 PM   #8

We do pack as many clothing changes as we can. If we have to say in 2-3 weeks of traveling we will find a laundry mat in a town and be good again for several weeks. One or two odds and ends the dish pan with Camp Suds bio soap. A dedicated piece of equipment for laundry in a vehicle the size of a van makes no sense to us.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #9

If you are a "do it yourselfer" you may want to build this inexpensive bucket / plunger hand powered clothes washer . works like old time butter churn .You can also pack your cleaning supplies in the bucket for travel. link for instructions http://www.raisinglittletreasures.com/m ... g-machine/
Attached Thumbnails
bucket  plunger washer.jpg  
Old 04-27-2015, 10:54 PM   #10

I pack enough underwear for the trip and then hit a laundromat if necessary. Cannot see using water that we hauled in to wash clothes with on the trail unless there is a ready source near by. We use water for drinking, cooling and cleanup. Washing clothes is a luxury we do not have the water capicity for. Although I do like he idea of that du met and plunger.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote