Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
evy

Ford E250 OEM seats vs Swivel? vs Other options?

Has anyone fitted these seat swivels on the Ford OEM seats? (2010 Ford E250)
I'm thinking adding a swivel under the passenger's seat only.

http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/prod...roduct_id=1615

I'm guessing you need some DIY adapter plates on the floor and under the seat?

Also I haven't done any traveling yet but I'm not thinking of replacing the OEM seats (with armrest) but if I were, what would my options be? is there another compatible seat from another Ford model? F150/Explorer/Escape? holes, seatbelt and plugs?

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2015, 11:25 AM   #2

Re: Ford E250 OEM seats vs Swivel? vs Other options?

My experience is with the 1997-2007 seats, but I don't think anything changed from 2008-2014 (you could find out by checking fitment at someplace that sells swivels, etc.). Anyway, there are Flexsteel seats that fit right onto Ford bases - they are aftermarket "plush" type seats that are often put in van conversions, RV's, etc. in the driver and passenger position.

As far as swivel bases go, my SMB had the ones SMB sells in their parts store, and I was very happy with them. I would buy one now if I were making a swivel seat in a van.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:00 AM   #3

Garage

Our passenger seat swivels, the only issue is it added some height to the seat, and Mrs dhally's feet won't reach the floor.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
evy

Does anyone know what this thing does?
I don't have any seat airbags?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #5

That looks like part of a seat belt pre-tensioner. The seat belt pre-tensioner "yanks" the seatbelt tight during the same forces that would set off the dash airbag. It works via some sort of explosive charged cylinder (which you can see).

My '97 and '98 chassis E-Series both have a driver and passenger airbag, and driver and passenger seat-belt pre-tensioners. No seat airbags.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #6

Garage

Do most swivels wobble? Or just old ones?

I've seen a lot at the junkyard lately and keep hoping to find some that rotate tight and smooth but all of the ones I've come across have a bit of play in them and don't really feel secure when you're sitting in them. I can only imagine how terrible it would feel to be a passenger on a wobbly seat on a washboard road... Is this inherent to all seat swivels or just old tired ones?
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #7
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
That loke part of a seat belt pre-tensioner. The seat belt pre-tensioner "yanks" the seatbelt tight during the same forces that would set off the dash airbag. It works via some sort of explosive charged cylinder (which you can see).

My '97 and '98 chassis E-Series both have a driver and passenger airbag, and driver and passenger seat-belt pre-tensioners. No seat airbags.
Thanks for the info

https://youtu.be/6phdJWRi_vw

I checked youtube and this is what I found
Old 05-26-2015, 08:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ert01
Do most swivels wobble? Or just old ones?
The stock SMB swivels on both the driver's and passenger's seat in my '97 (which look the same as the ones SMB sells in their parts store now) didn't wobble at all, and that rig had almost 100,000 miles on it when I bought it (original owners traveled as a couple, so both driver and passenger seats had people in them for all the miles). The only slight flaw (and I don't know whether or not it was related to the swivel) was that the passenger seat would just slightly "click back" upon hard acceleration. I guess that was in the fore-and-aft adjustment mechanism, and don't know if that's part of the swivel or not. But definitely not wobbly at all.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #9

I have a 2008 and bought the swivel base from discount Van and Truck; no wobbles.

The pre-tensioner is also called a pyro when you are looking at seat bases.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote