Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #1

Penthouse Ladder?

Hello,

Has anyone buillt or designed a ladder for accessing the penthouse bed? I typically step on the sink/stove area but my significant other would like a more civilized way to access.

Thanks,

- Dave

dpekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #2

Re: Penthouse Ladder?

Many years ago in a RV store I picked up a nice quality 5' interior ladder that had these tabs at the top. These tabs would slide into a clip plate you would permanently fasten to the bed. This made it easily removable but somewhat stable under use. This was for another application not the penthouse bed so you would need to find a longer one. The same concept could be applied to a home built one too.

google rv bunk ladders -
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Yeah, I just use a fold flat step to go from the floor to the countertop. One thing I don't want is the ladder to extend above the bed. Bunk ladders can attach like Pat mentioned but most are a full length ladder that would be difficult to stow. A free standing step ladder might work. Telestep makes adjustable ladders that might work for you. Maybe even the Combi-ladder?
http://telesteps.net/combination-ladder ... on-ladder/

I have one of their standard ladders that extends tall enough to clean my solar panels.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #4

When I picked up my Sprinter with Penthouse from SMB Texas they included a ladder to the PH that hooked to a couple brackets on the bed. It was always in the way it seemed and was hard to store conveniently. Eventually after several trips it became apparent that it was not necessary. I found that I could step on the gaucho, then the counter, then throw my knee on the bed and yank myself up. Same for my wife who is 66. We have not used it for quite a while now including several 2 month long trips to Alaska, BC, Florida etc. Other pictures in some of my previous posts. Bill
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0267.JPG  
Wsgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:47 PM   #5

A ladder will work but you will have to stow it and the van does have limited space. We discovered that there were enough things near the foot of the bed that we could step/climb on that a ladder was not necessary. More space for other stuff.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:00 PM   #6

I made one this spring with 1in EMT conduit, so the pregnant wife could make it up top a little bit easier.

Was cheap, and easy, all why being good practice for my lackluster welding skills.

Was about 4ft long, with a 10-15 degree bend just below the bottom step. Just rattle canned it black, but some rubber tip protectors on the ends and toss it up top. Fits under our bedding on our CCV high top.
Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #7

Our sprinter penthouse came from SMB Fresno with a folding steel ladder.
We never used it because it was a pain to store and our factory rear seat interfered with the ladder when set up for use.
It also rattled.
Some pipe insulation foam solved the rattle.
If we didn't have the rear seat in the way I think the ladder would have been an pretty decent solution.
I am unsure if they sell them after the fact.
Onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:22 AM   #8

Just tossing an idea out there, I have no firsthand experience with this, but it hadn't been mentioned yet. Would a rope ladder work? Seems like it could be folded flat enough to be stored up on top of the bedding. I know they can be a bit tricky to use due to their flexibility. Just tossing the idea out there though it would require some thought and rigging to get it to work.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10281
Just tossing an idea out there, I have no firsthand experience with this, but it hadn't been mentioned yet. Would a rope ladder work? Seems like it could be folded flat enough to be stored up on top of the bedding. I know they can be a bit tricky to use due to their flexibility. Just tossing the idea out there though it would require some thought and rigging to get it to work.

Maybe for the mountain climbers in the crowd. Just make sure you are awake when using it.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:02 PM   #10

Thanks for all the ideas. Just before our trip the wife was at Costco and found a folding three step ladder that works perfectly. Folded it fits crossways behind the bench seat in back so it doesn't take up much space. Pull it out before climbing up for the night and it makes it easy. Happy wife, happy life!
dpekin is offline   Reply With Quote