Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #1

Coin flooring (Loncoin): Like it? Would you choose it again?

Hi Folks,

My previous SMB came with a white/neutral vinyl flooring, wall-to-wall. The original owners specified it over carpet (apparently against the tide back then). It was a fantastic floor. Light/shiny, easy to keep clean, didn't look like fake anything.

Now I have another rig and not quite so lucky this time in that it has dark (dark!) blue carpet. It's not gross (thanks to "old man" clear plastic pronged matting by previous owner), but it will be soon (I actually camp...), and it's dark as a mine besides. If I drop something on the floor.... dig out a flashlight!

So, I'm looking at some sort of vinyl/rubber/linoleum type flooring. I think I would prefer a sheet good to squares (no seams), and I don't want fake anything (wood, marble, bricks, etc.). I don't want it to smell weird (vinyly, rubbery, etc.). Something light grey or similar would be nice.

I got some samples from Lonseal and am somewhat drawn to the coin style flooring - the one with the textured coins and smooth "valleys." I like the light industrial "non RV" look, and that is is not fake something else. But.... for those who have it, does it collect dirt/sand/etc. in between the coins? If you were doing it over again, would you go with something smooth? That's my biggest possible concern with the coins.

I am pleased that the Lonseal samples have very little odor.

Or does anyone have another favorite sheet flooring that fits my description?

Thanks,
Viva

PS: I'm not too concerned about cost, just because it's such a small space (tho obviously forget diamond-encrusted gold squares...)

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:14 AM   #2

Re: Coin flooring (Loncoin): Like it? Would you choose it ag

I found a garage/workshop floor mat at Costco that has a diamond tread pattern, in grey only, at least when I bought mine. I think it was 10' x 8', tough to cut but do-able. Stuff is tough as hell, easy to clean and I was able to cut it in a seamless piece for the whole rear of the van that makes cleaning up easy. I had been looking at Loncoin and this seems a great alternative that you can look at before buying. (Assuming you live near a Costco.)
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #3

Love,love,love our coin flooring. Having had other flooring and having to deal with seams I think anything else in a camping rig would be a step down. I keep a small broom and dustpan to sweep up the dirt and it is a little aggravating to get every spec of dirt up around the raised portions, but I usually wait till we get back and pull out the shop vac. As far as smell goes it might have lasted a week or so.
thestoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses so far.

For some reason I'm not a fan of diamond-plate pattern, but that's just a personal quirk. It does look like it might be less likely to trap dirt around the raised areas than "coins," so too bad I don't like it more.

For anyone else who may respond (please do!), let me clarify that I'm probably only considering "one-piece" flooring as I don't want seams. But within that there is still a wide range of patterns, from plain smooth to coin to other raised patterns. I like the look of the coin, but don't want to be cleaning around each coin (and I don't have access to a shop vac very often, as I'm typically living on 12-volts with minimal storage capacity for big things).

Thanks again for the input! More welcome...
Old 07-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage

We have a love/hate relationship with our Loncoin. As thestoneman points out, it is seamless and does a great job of covering the floor. It's also very durable, a positive, but therefore very hard, a negative. We cover ours with rubberized mats for softness and warmth. (Loncoin is cold, too.) Since the mats have gaps that let dirt and moisture through, we remove them every few days for a cleanup, which is probably a good discipline. That brings one final negative: Loncoin can be hard to clean between the coins.

All that said, we'd probably buy it again for its durability and single surface. If I could wave a magic wand, though, I'd have a rubber floor mat like you find in restaurant kitchens that covered the entire floor as well as the Loncoin.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #6

Great info.

Since Lonseal (that's the brand of which Loncoin is just one type) makes smooth flooring as well as "coins," maybe I should steer away from the coin and just find a smooth version I like. Naturally, I really like the way the coins look, darnit! But I did already wonder about cleaning them. I don't tend to need "super grip," so perhaps doing away with the coins is the way to go.

BTW, for anyone who is interested, you can see the Lonseal colors/patterns here:

www.lonseal.com
www.lonsealspecialty.com (a few variations on the regular ones).

I was looking at the Lonpoint Moonwalk (smaller coins with more space between them) but may reconsider now. The last thing I want to do is get rid of carpet and then have to clean around coins.

Given what you said about hardness, I may consider something like the Lonsafe (foam) underlayment.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:25 PM   #7

We had our van built with Non-Slip linoleum. This is a product made for operating rooms and is not slippery when wet with water (or blood). I had vision of my wife spilling some water and taking a tumble. Really like what we have.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #8

My $.02.......

I also have the loncoin samples and I like the stuff, although I went another way to save $$.

I went with Nautilex decko dot marine flooring. It's cheaper, grippy (a little tough on the knees), but probably not as durable as the Loncoin. I can mail you a sample if you are interested.

I have a rubber version of coin flooring in my Honda Element and it is extremely grippy but gets grungy over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
I had been looking at Loncoin and this seems a great alternative that you can look at before buying. (Assuming you live near a Costco.)
Can you buy Loncoin at Costco?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #9

I have loncoin in a rental kitchen and bath and, as mentioned by others, the uneven surface is nearly impossible to keep clean. Only a strong vac gets up dirt/sand/etc. stuck in the various grooves.

For my SMB, I went with Lonzebra top seal in raven and it looks great - smooth surface that doesn't get too,slippery when wet, easy to clean and the pattern is interesting without trying to be an imitation of wood/stone,etc. the pattern hides dirt very well so it always looks clean. The lonseal flooring isn't cheap but incredibly durable and looks as good today as it did when it was brand new.
travelguy2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #10

Thanks everyone - this is just the type of feedback I needed!

I think that as much as I like the coin pattern (I like circles, and plus I like that it's not typical RV but instead more of a light industrial look), I may try to find a smooth pattern I like instead (Lonseal makes a number of smooth options as well, although I still like the look of the coin best).

TravelGuy: I had looked at the LonZebra but kind of passed it over. I think I'm going to reconsider it now. As you say, it's nice that it's not trying to be stone, wood, etc. (I guess maybe it's trying to be Zebra, but at least that's not typical )

True the Lonseal is not cheap, but since I'm not trying to do a suburban kitchen (acres!) it's not so bad. Given that it's epoxied down, I don't want to have to do it again.