Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #1

Retrofit OE Rear Air in E350 Cargo?

I just bought a 2002 E350 with a 7.3 PSD. I'm stoked on the van... about 120K miles, pretty straight body. I picked it up for $5500. Saw it on CL in Las Vegas, I'm in Southern Cal. Had my brother in law go look at it for me right away, I flew up there the next morning to pick it up. I was sure it wouldn't last if I didn't move quick. When I went to pick it up the owner of the company that owned it commented that his employee who listed it made a mistake (yeah, no kidding). I just smiled and handed him the cash.

Anyway... my plans are, of course, to make a camper out of it. I own a '78 Westy that I love, but with a wife and 3 kids it just doesn't work. Plus, with no AC we have to plan travel around the heat.

For my E350, how hard would it by to find and install the original equipment passenger rear AC? For the time being my only concern would be cooling the van while driving. Is this something that's done regularly? I came up empty in my searches.

Any help would be appreciated!

Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #2

Re: Retrofit OE Rear Air in E350 Cargo?

I went through the same dilemma and I finally went with an aftermarket unit. It's available at twinairproducts.com. For around $600.

The problem with a factory unit is they have steel lines ran down the frame that are installed prior to the body at the factory and it would be impossible to salvage them. I priced plumbing in a used factory unit in the rear of my van and it was going to cost nearly what the whole aftermarket kit cost.

The kit was easy to install definitely a DIY. The only things I had to buy seperately was flexible ductwork and the dash piece that had the space for the rear air dial. It shouldn't be a problem to find one at a salvage yard.
thestoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #3

It is possible to remove and in-install the rear A/C lines. It does require dropping the fuel tank and moving some other stuff out of the way. I had to replace one on my van last summer (popped out of bracket then rubbed the edge of the floor pan) and had to replace the entire line assembly on the old van due to corrosion. Be sure to note the oil capacity on the donor van. It requires more A/C oil than the standard setup.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #4

Thanks guys! Twin Air Products sounds like it might be the ticket... I hope they're still around, they're certainly not maintaining their website: http://twinairproducts.com/?p=144

Stoneman - I looked through your gallery and saw the AC unit... you've done to your van pretty much exactly what I want to do to mine.
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:00 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

As recently as this past Thursday I was in phone contact with Chad of Twin Air Products---they're still fully viable, in business and ready to sell anything they make ASAP.

Their Products pages on the web site were hacked or crashed--they know about it, "trying" to fix it but who knows when/if it will be back up and running? Its probably best talking with them via phone---give that a try.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Their Products pages on the web site were hacked or crashned--they know about it, "trying" to fix it but who knows when/if it will be back up and running?
Seriously somebody needs to tell them to find the nearest neighbor kid, and get their website fixed ASAP. Even a simple "Contact Us" page shouldn't take more than 3-minutes by your average high-school freshmen.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:15 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Their Products pages on the web site were hacked or crashned--they know about it, "trying" to fix it but who knows when/if it will be back up and running?
Seriously somebody needs to tell them to find the nearest neighbor kid, and get their website fixed ASAP. Even a simple "Contact Us" page shouldn't take more than 3-minutes by your average high-school freshmen.
We're of the exact same mindset on this CarringB! Not sure why they're dragging their feet on rebuilding that part of their web site---bad thing is they're fully aware of it too.

They're not huge on returning phone calls or emails especially is something else is on their minds. I strongly suspect their biggest market is OEM-supply so onesey-twosey sales aren't a top priority.

Pro-Air is a bit more responsive but not really overly helpful should design help be wanted or necessary. They're easy to buy from but one has to know what's needed or wanted pretty much on their own.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote