Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #1

Rooftop AC on penthouse top.

I know SMB's website says they don't put a rooftop AC on the penthouse top. I suppose there could be many reasons for this, but I am wondering if some proper crossbraces were installed underneath to prevent sagging and some method for safe electrical connection....perhaps this could be done under my shadetree on the penthouse top with electric power lift. I think the hole in the roof is about 14" x 14". Appreciate any and all comments. Stosh

Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #2

Re: Rooftop AC on penthouse top.

Surely someone has an opinion about this........is it a stupid idea or brilliant? I've never seen one on a penthouse....but don't understand why not. I'm just planning my future van, and I won't blame you if you encourage me to try it and it fails. Thanks, Stosh.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #3

I don't have any idea how much a rooftop AC weighs.

I recall something about the electric PH lift being able to lift 100# - you might double check that with SMB. If the weight of the AC fits in with what SMB says it can lift, then it is doable. Running the power is no different than running the wiring for a Solar panel or rooftop lighting. Certainly doable.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #4

Coleman Polar cub 9200 btu
92 pounds
about $600

over
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #5

Bill: Does your Polar Cub rest directly on the fiberglass of your Cruiser top, or is it supported by some crossbars or rack? Also, have you had a chance to see how well it cools on a hot day? Thanks, Stosh
Old 05-14-2015, 12:46 AM   #6

I gotta bump this as this is exactly what I am contemplating doing. Installing the polar club 9200 on my penthouse top. I found a shop that said they can do it, but I'm worried now since sportsmobile says not to do it. Weight should not be an issue as sportsmobile claims people can stand on top of the roof. But I don't want to create some sort of irreparable damage to the penthouse top. The shop said they plan on building some sort of housing to reinforce the AC unit, but I'm not the most mechanically inclined person so wasn't quite following what they were saying. It's a reputable shop that has been in business a long time and installs units on popup campers, but I'm pretty sure no one their has immediate experience installing one of these on a penthouse top. What is the issue with the roof and installing the AC units? What sort of information could I offer that might be helpful before they start cutting?

My last question is just how much this unit will really cool things down? Is this really worth installing? Also, isn't sportsmobile or did I see it in a different post offering some sort of manual penthouse top bar that can be dropped when the top is raised to add more support to the penthouse top springs? I would like to get something like that for piece of mind.

Finally, can someone confirm they have used the newer polar cub coleman 9200 units with a Honda 2000 watt generator? I'm getting conflicting information on that as well.

Much thanks, Louie.
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie

Finally, can someone confirm they have used the newer polar cub coleman 9200 units with a Honda 2000 watt generator? I'm getting conflicting information on that as well.

Much thanks, Louie.
I did, but with a CCV top. It worked fine. Honda 2000 supports it just fine but I never did a full to empty tank run to see how long it would run just the roof air. That roof air unit cooled off my dark colored extended van just fine and that was with the super high CCV top. I have no idea on fit on an SMB due to the front and rear 'boxes' that hold the PH frame, but good luck. I would love to see it done. The weight of that air conditioner alone is not enough to overload the top. I probably have double that in my roof box/solar/rack and lift it often, though I usually pull chairs etc. out of the box first.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #8

Thank you for the reply. I called Sportsmobile and they were adamant about not installing the AC on the top and the company that I was going to have do the job are not familiar with the tops so I got nervous and am deciding to just get a portable AC and vent out the window. My new concern is if an 8000 BTU will do the job. I was looking at the LG that Home Depot sells. It's fairly small and will fit fine in my center aisle.

Thanks again for the reply,
Louie
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #9

we have a 5400 btu unit we window install and it works fine in Michigan.

What is the btu rating if the SMB stankool (
Sp) units they install and many members have?? That info should help. You also need to define the environment you want to use it in.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie
Thank you for the reply. I called Sportsmobile and they were adamant about not installing the AC on the top and the company that I was going to have do the job are not familiar with the tops so I got nervous and am deciding to just get a portable AC and vent out the window. My new concern is if an 8000 BTU will do the job. I was looking at the LG that Home Depot sells. It's fairly small and will fit fine in my center aisle.

Thanks again for the reply,
Louie
There are a million posts on this Louie. If you feel like it there is more reading than you probably want to do. Keep in mind the portables have some definite drawbacks. My next AC will be the window unit in the front PH window sitting on the roof. I can't remember who did it but they'll chime in soon I'm sure. You should check it out. It's an awesome idea and great execution.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote