Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV
Baby Carseat to 50 plan sofabed: need latch system?

Hey Gang, happy to say that if all continues going well we will have our first "Little Camper" joining us after the first of the year. Much preparations are underway, of course. One thing I wanted to ask others out there is how you have handled adding a carseat to the sofabed in the 50 plan. My sofabed has a shoulder belt on the passenger side then a lap belt in middle and lap belt on driver side. We do NOT have the latch system anchoring to the frame as you have in most cars these days.
My question is: Should I be trying to find someone to add a latch system after the fact? Or, do some of you use the shoulder/lap belt combo on the passenger side without a latch system tether? Does anyone just use the lap belt alone?

I was thinking I would have to find someone who could add this for me but before I find someone to do that (and who knows if they will actually know how to do it properly) I thought I would ask those who have gone before me.
This is not our primary vehicle but, it will be used in addition to our subaru which already has that system, of course.
Much obliged for any advice.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: Baby Carseat to 50 plan sofabed: need latch system?

First of all, CONGRATS!!!

Latch makes installing, removing, and reinstalling much easier. That said, I do not belive it is necessary.

We don't have Latch in our SMB, though we utilize Captains seats with individual three point shoulder belt setups. For our son, we used a semi-permanently installed base that the infant carrier snapped into. That greatly eased the process of putting our son in, and taking him out, of our SMB. It also made it much easier the few times he actually slept in his car seat in the SMB, so we could take him out without waking him. Everyone kept telling us, "take your son for a ride in a car, he'll fall asleep". No such luck in our case, he waas generally wide awake and looking around.

Congrats again, and best of luck.

Herb
Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #3

I'll second what Herb said. I love having the latch system in the cars, but in the SMB I just use the seatbelt on the seat, or before it, the seat base. For the first 9-12 months (until they outgrow it), having the carrier with separate base is pretty nice!

Congratulations on the new addition and let us know how the adventuring goes. We just added our second a couple of weeks ago. After an upcoming van remodel to accommodate four of us, we'll be back on the road as well!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #4

Agree with all above.

Any infant base should be able to achieve a secure install with either seatbelt as long as they lock. Life is good.

Where the challenge pops up is when you move on to a forward-facing car seat with the seatbelt install. Depending on the design of the seatbelt and the design of the car seat and how the two work together, will determine if you can get a secure install.

In my experience, this requires trial and error. The good news is that any store that specializes in baby stuff will let you try their floor models in your vehicle. Takes some time, but you will likely find one that will install securely.

Of course, the one that works will be the one your wife hates because it's the wrong color, isn't cute, etc...

LATCH solves this problem. But, with aftermarket LATCH comes legal liability. I couldn't find a place that would take that on. Hence, Sprinter bench seats in a Ford van.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #5

I have the latch system installed by SMB at time of build on my van. A similar topic to yours found here. Maybe not exactly the same but some useful info.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...hp?f=13&t=5036
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV

Thanks all. Appreciate the advise (and the congrats.)
Old 10-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #7

I've used an infant carseat recently in my RB50 for several road trips -- installed on the passenger side of the rear seat. Without Latch, installation is a bit of a pain -- probably 20 minutes of fiddling to properly get it tight and snug.

I found that looping the receiving end of the seatbelt once around the bar it's attached to under the seat allowed me to shorten it a bit -- in order to better work with my carseat.

Good luck!

-- Geoff
Old 12-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #8

Wow, hadn't thought about this. I have an EB51, don't have any kids but my grandson will be coming for a visit in the spring. With no seatbelts on the sofa, I thought I'd put his car seat on the front passenger seat, is that legal? What does it take to add a set of seatbelts to the sofa?
ehc0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc0720
With no seatbelts on the sofa, I thought I'd put his car seat on the front passenger seat, is that legal? What does it take to add a set of seatbelts to the sofa?
Not sure what to suggest, but I don't think it is safe to put the car seat in the front, due to the airbag. It is likely not legal either (at least here in California).

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #10

Have to 'google' your state laws. Normally kids are required to be placed in non-front seats unless none are available. We spent $300 to have an air bag deactivation switch added to our front passenger seat for grand kids.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote