Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #1

Ford Transit details

I figured there's enough new info coming out to warrant a new thread.

So far I like what I see:

-Three lengths (SWB = Short wheelbase, LWB-RB = Long Wheelbase Regular Body, LWB-EB)
-Three Roof heights
-Even the smallest Transit has 10" more load length than the RB E-series.
-The Long wheelbase Transit has a tighter turning circle than the E-series (42' vs 47')
-The wagon is available in LWB-EB
-The body is actually 2" wider than the E-series, which addresses the complaint about the Euro vans being too narrow.
-Factory dually option (unfortunately it barely adds width, which means you'll lose some interior room to the wheel wells).
-LWB-EB gives you 170" of load room, or an extra 30" beyond the current EB.

Pertinent specs are here:
http://transitfamily.fordpresskits.c...h_specs_US.pdf

For reference here's the E-series specs:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...SB_Updates.pdf

Transmission is the same one used in the F-series, so that bodes well for 4x4 conversions.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

Ford Transit details

Cool info, thanks!

The middle pic (low roof) looks pretty good. Th high roof EB looks just like a Sprinter, not a horrible thing, just looks like a knock off to me.

I hope they give us some HP/torque ratings soon.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #3

Re: Ford Transit details

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
The middle pic (low roof) looks pretty good. Th high roof EB looks just like a Sprinter, not a horrible thing, just looks like a knock off to me.
Well, there's only so many ways you can make a box

One thing Sprinter does not offer is their LWB-EB in passenger form, unless you order a "Sprinter bus" through a Freightliner dealer, and those things are like $80k+.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #4

Ford Transit details

Came across this online today

Romeo
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355801181.234725.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355801203.463577.jpg  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #5

Thanks carringb for making a dedicated Ford Transit page. The other thread as seen below is for whether or not Quigley would do the Transit 4x4. At the moment, Quigley is considering it for feasibility and cost purposes. But thanks for the new general thread and I really like those pdf links you provided since I hadn't seen those files before. I like all the 2013 Econoline van and cutaway info in one pdf file! Thanks, man!!!

viewtopic.php?t=10138

You may want to consider editing your original post here to paste the link to the Quigley 4x4 thread to inform others that there is another Transit thread going on but particularly for Quigley 4x4 system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Well, there's only so many ways you can make a box

One thing Sprinter does not offer is their LWB-EB in passenger form, unless you order a "Sprinter bus" through a Freightliner dealer, and those things are like $80k+.
Don't forget the fact that Mercedes no longer sell the Sprinter Jumbo Roof here. The Transit will offer a Dually LWB EB which is the Jumbo Roof. This is in addition to offering two gasoline engines, 6-speed auto tranny across the board, made in America for the American-built supporters, the familiar Built Ford Tough theme, and of course lower retail prices and better fuel efficiency. So advantage all the way: Ford.

Can't wait to see whether or not Sportsmobile will offer it. Surely cause it is similar to Sprinter in dimensions and cheaper in retail prices to the Sprinter. Of course the Transit prices have yet to be announced but considering the type of vehicle it will be, it is all an assumption on my part.
pffan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #6

Since the Transit now has A-arm suspension, with rack and Pinion, and shares the F150 powertrain, I wonder if a Raptor front end graft will be possible?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #7

Quote:
on't forget the fact that Mercedes no longer sell the Sprinter Jumbo Roof here. The Transit will offer a Dually LWB EB which is the Jumbo Roof. This is in addition to offering two gasoline engines, 6-speed auto tranny across the board, made in America for the American-built supporters, the familiar Built Ford Tough theme, and of course lower retail prices and better fuel efficiency. So advantage all the way: Ford.
Really? Did that just happen? Fedex is buying em by the thousands somehow. Every time I go in to a station, the Econolines and Grummans have been pulled and replaced by new EB high roof Mercedes (badged) Sprinters.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #8

The Sprinter is currently offering two roof heights: low- and high- versions. They did offer the third one which was higher than the high one and called Jumbo Roof. As you can see in the Transit info, there are three roof heights while the Sprinter is offered in two heights, two wheelbases, and three lengths. The Fed-Ex ones I see here are the longest EB Long one with the 'middle' high one. NOT the Jumbo Roof one. I may be mistaken, though. I see on Mercedes official site and looked around in Google and find that they no longer offer the highest Jumbo Roof here. Just the aforementioned low and 'middle' high heights. Hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #9

Ford Transit details

Quote:
Originally Posted by pffan1990
The Sprinter is currently offering two roof heights: low- and high- versions. They did offer the third one which was higher than the high one and called Jumbo Roof. As you can see in the Transit info, there are three roof heights while the Sprinter is offered in two heights, two wheelbases, and three lengths. The Fed-Ex ones I see here are the longest EB Long one with the 'middle' high one. NOT the Jumbo Roof one. I may be mistaken, though. I see on Mercedes official site and looked around in Google and find that they no longer offer the highest Jumbo Roof here. Just the aforementioned low and 'middle' high heights. Hope this helps.
Oh, gotcha. Thanks. I was assuming the FedEx ones were the Jumbo. I see what you mean. Wow, I'm 6'2" and can walk around in a high roof (FedEx) Sprinter. Any higher than that would seem to me to be pretty top heavy or prone to flip!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #10

Yep, if I recall correctly, the Jumbo Roof has interior height of around 6'8" so there's a lot of space for me whose 6'4"!!!