Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #1

2014 Ford Transit Connect - comments, thoughts, etc.???

There has already been information out about the upcoming Econoline-replacement, Ford Transit coming on sale late 2013 as a 2014. There are articles about it which can be found in Google or in the thread link below. There is also a thread about Quigley attempting to design a 4x4 conversion for the Transit, the link is below as well.

I think perhaps we should talk about the 2014 Ford Transit Connect 'mini' van for those interested, even though Sportsmobile does not do conversions for it. The TC can easily be converted as campers through custom outfitters such as Kevin Hornby Designs (http://www.kevinhornbydesigns.com) which the site includes info, pictures, and a general price list. I have gotten to wonder with the new 2014 TC featuring the ability to delete the driver side sliding door and replaced with solid wall, along with an available extended wheelbase version, I would think that Sportsmobile should consider offering their own camper conversion? At least as a mini SMB Traveller? Thoughts? Discuss if interesting to you!

Ford's page of the upcoming 2014 Ford Transit Connect:
http://www.ford.com/crossovers/transitconnect-wagon/

Discussion thread for 2014 Ford Transit full-size van info:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10268

Discussion thread for Quigley to do Ford Transit full-size van 4x4 conversion:
viewtopic.php?t=10138

* - Moderator: If this thread isn't in the appropriate forum category, you may move it to the right spot. Thanks.

pffan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #2

Re: 2014 Ford Transit Connect - comments, thoughts, etc.???

Details: http://transitfamily.fordpresskits.c...h_specs_US.pdf

I like it. If I needed something that size it would be my first choice. Certainly would pick it before any conventional minivan. My first choice would be the Flex though (as a passenger car, obviously not ideal for a camper) because 365 HP twin-turbo.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #3

I agree as I like it, too. I would hope that SMB would at least consider doing their own mini camper/traveller version of the TC for size and economical purposes of their customers. I'm just not sure if the engine and front-drive layout would withstand all the weight, load, and packaging if SMB would do it, though. Regardless, with the availability of the full driver-side solid wall instead of standard sliding door, this would make a great blank-canvas project for the do-it-yourselfers out there (and here). Thanks for that spec sheet pdf file since I was looking for it after already gotten the full-size Transit spec sheet.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #4

I don't have concerns over durability. Its designed as a commercial van, and is has more payload than most configurations of the F150.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #5

I drove one of these for a day recently, but it was a 2012 I think, so not as good looking as the 2014 looks to be. Very well designed, super comfortable, unbelievably good vision/mirrors. I was quite impressed. Also, i'm 6'2" and was impressed with the ceiling height in the rear. I couldn't stand completely up, but I could see how this could be a good micro camper for a single or couple. My only complaint, and it's a pretty big one actually, is that the power window switches are tiny and in the center console. Very odd placement, and if you have cups or other junk in there, you'll be struggling to find/get to them. This seems like a strange decision for Ford on the switches, why not in the doors? Anyway, minor complaint.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #6

Anyone have any experience with the Kevin Hornsby Design company? Just wondering, since they seem to be taking a run at retro-ing these little vans. thanks
baybeegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
My only complaint, and it's a pretty big one actually, is that the power window switches are tiny and in the center console. Very odd placement, and if you have cups or other junk in there, you'll be struggling to find/get to them. This seems like a strange decision for Ford on the switches, why not in the doors? Anyway, minor complaint.
That is rather odd. I think it has to do with the fact that it is Euro-designed and Turkey-built van. Surely, the upcoming 2014 will have power switches on the doors like usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybeegg
Anyone have any experience with the Kevin Hornsby Design company? Just wondering, since they seem to be taking a run at retro-ing these little vans. thanks
I was wondering myself as I saw the 'kit' on his site with price list and was fascinated with it. Haven't been able to find any reviews or any folks here's experiences. I wonder if Kevin has plans to do the 2014+ vans. I would think so since the new one will be offered with a stretch and even have a sliding driver side door delete (replaced by standard solid wall).
Old 05-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #8

Not to throw this thread off topic, but some interesting news came out last week. Due to the upcoming redesign of the 2014 Transit Connect, Chevrolet/GMC apparently wants some action of small cargo van industry. Behold the City Express... based on the Nissan NV200.

If GM wants to enter the market doing this go for it, but not sure if the badge engineering is a good idea cause it's been said and done already. In fact, the badge engineering is possibly what turned customers away from GM starting in the 21st century with all brands sharing basic cars with slight differences. I just hope that this is a temporary thing while GM designs their own based on the Cruze or something as they watch and study the success of the City Express (or watch it fail due to my aforementioned badge engineering argument). Oh well.

Just thought I'd mention it here in the Transit Connect thread of mine since it will be a direct competitor. I personally like the styling of the City Express in the article compared to the NV200. But of course I'm biased as a Ford enthusiast, I like the Transit Connect much better.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/14/niss ... y-express/
Old 05-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #9

I'll work out as well as the Prism/Corolla and Vibe/Matrix.... Basically the only reason to buy the GM nameplate is the steep rebates. Otherwise, why subject yourself to GMs service department when you could just buy the original, and deal with their better service department who also happens to have more experience with that model?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:41 AM   #10

All good points. I didn't even think about the GM servicing and possible reliability issues. But I actually like the Chevy version just purely on styling, but then again these vans are for fleet purposes.