Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #1

Suspension/lift

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and a new E350 2wd owner. I bought the van to fulfill the many needs of our lifestyle. I am a working musician and an avid dirt bike enthusiast.

I recently put new tires and wheels on and she is in desperate need of a leveling kit. As much as I would like to drop 3K on a proper lift, Camburg, Action or J Flame it's just not in the budget. I searched the Net and have really found nothing in the aftermarket in the form of a tried and true leveling kit and since Ford though it best to make the suspension just different enough there really is nothing that crosses over from the F series according to my research.

I have seen the "Puck" that is availble from Maxx but as I read, most if not all the guys that have purchased have had to make modifications regardless of there call out that it fit E-series.

I would prefer to use a spring, again many options and uncharted territory when it come to an exact fitment, spring rate and loaded height differances. Supercoils list three available springs

What i am looking for is two inches maximum to lift and level the front end. I should see approximately +2.5 degrees of camber and should be able to rectify that with the Speciality Products cam.

Any suggestions and or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Van stock ride height.JPG  

Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #2

Suspension/lift

What size tires did you go to? I've done the opposite, I have the lift without the tires. I used Maxx lift for the front and an add a leaf for the rear. I had to re cam the front as well. I ordered one off of amazon, got the other local. I mis ordered on Amazon was the only reason I didn't get both there

Btw... No mods were really needed for the Maxx lift.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #3

Re: Suspension/lift

Thanks, I went to a 265/75-16 (roughly 32" diameter) and it just kisses the front valance, more so when in reverse.

The picture makes it kinda hard to see all the rake in the front as the driveway is slightly slopped but needs exactly two inches.

How well does the sping sit on the spacer and the spacer to the I beam? Did you replace the bolt that captures the I beam, trailing arm and spring plate?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #4

Suspension/lift

It's actually very easy. You have to replace the bolt. Everything else changes over. Check out my build thread as well as Audisnapr posts. I sourced the bolt/nuts/washers locally. My plan is for the 265's as well.

My Build Thread
Old 04-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #5

Looks good Brian, I also had a look at Audisnapr post as well.

How long have you had that installed and have you had any issues with noise and or unusual spring movement on the puck?

Also, it was hard to tell from your photo, what did the actual OE lower spring retainer look like was a dished washer or a small cup with a lip?

I really apreciate all the help!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #6

Suspension/lift

No noise to speak of, or at least recall. My miles are mostly highway miles anyway.

The spring retainer on the bottom is a small cup with the lip and a retainer clip and bolt up top.

My Build Thread
Old 04-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #7

I installed the puck type lift. But did need some modification. It has worked well but was not easy to align. After the lift and bigger tires you might want to look at a steering stabilizer. It made a pretty big affect on my handling.
Millerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #8

Hi there,

Silver350 did something very similar. Here are a few threads of his:
Small lift for small $$
Which tire?
Now THAT is an improvement!

Also, these threads may be of interest:
Lifting a 2WD Van, part # 999???
2wd E Series Coil Spring Codes and year to year interchange

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #9

Thanks everyone,

Hopefully I can make a decision here and get this thing leveled out. I certainly like the idea of a longer coil but not looking forward to increased spring rates. I like the ride quality now, much better than my '06 Dodge Ram Diesel. Also, I sent an email to Maxx-Lift asking what the spacers are made of.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #10

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Find out your current springs free length and rate - there are lots of springs available that should work for you.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote