Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2013, 03:21 AM   #1

Quad Captains?

Can an EB50 be retrofitted with quad Captains Chairs? Specifically tearing out from the sink forward

Mostly I'm interested in safe mounting- like what it takes to factory mount once an SMB is built, and I was going to replace the Norcold anyway...

Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #2

Re: Quad Captains?

My other van has factory quad captains. (It was Brent's Quigley V10.) I can take picts and measurements of the 2nd row seat base placement if that would help.

Of course the shoulder belt mounts may be a different problem. After looking at a lot of van carcasses at the Pick-n-Pulls I've noticed that the passenger vans have the threaded welded insert for the shoulder belt mount. I don't see this on cargo vans.

And if it matters any I have never seen at the Pick-n-Pulls a modern 2nd row captain's chair seat base. The one behind the driver is fixed. The one behind the passenger has a lever that allows it to slide .. presumably to let the 3rd row bench seat passengers easier access to and from.

Hope this helps™,
Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #3

Welcome to my dilemma!

I'm guessing any number of van conversion places can install captains chairs for you. That's just a matter of cash.

Your problem will be - can you find captains chairs that your wife and you will be satisfied with the security of the car seat install...

Good hunting!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #4

The Toyota Sienna rear Captains chairs have integrated seatbelts (so no worrying about retrofitting an upper anchor) and also the LATCH system.

(scroll down towards the bottom)
http://ujointoffroad.com/parts.html
Old 08-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #5

You probably already saw my thread about adding a third captain's chair to my EB: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9212&hilit=+captain%27s+chair

We got a removable, swivel base for it. Being able to remove it is great. We haven't used the swivel function much. We also used a seatbelt with a QR function. Upper belt support was mounted to the side of the van, with a reinforcing plate behind it. The seatbase mounts to the van with four big bolts, with serious reinforcing plates under the van.

If I had it to do again, this is what I'd change:

1. Probably not go with the swivel base, as it cost more, was harder to find, and we rarely use it.
2. Look for a chair with the integrated seatbelt setup, so that we wouldn't have to mount the shoulder point to the van.
3. Find a seat that was a bit less "chunky" than our current one, which eats up a lot of space in the van. But, I guess this is just a fact of life with the aftermarket captain's chairs. I got this one on CL for $125, so can't complain too much. I've thought about swapping it out for an OEM Ford front seat, though. Plus, we're always whacking the armrest when we are walking through the van.

LATCH is a great setup, but not 100% necessary IMO. It was mainly designed to make it easier for people to correctly install their child seats, as many people just can't seem to do it right unless it's "idiot-proof." You can use a carseat just fine with a lap belt. The rear tether is a good idea, but you can also set this up using a D-ring bolted to your seatbase or someplace similar.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #6

Yeah, the other dilemma is start from scratch or... but that's another thread!

I remember looking at the sienna seats long ago, in the before time. hmmm...
Old 08-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Why would you want to add two seats? :-)

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
Why would you want to add two seats? :-)

Don
Because babies:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10740
Old 08-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #9

I think before anyone actually buys new captain chairs they have to view the toyota sienna seats and mounts that I believe Ujoint is doing.

They look incredible and so comfy.....
Old 08-28-2013, 04:40 AM   #10

I'm not sure if this is what your looking for, but I recently bought a commuter van with the individual captains chairs with integrated seat belts. The single seats attach with four bolts each (two in each of two long legs if that's clear) and have thick U-shaped backing plates under the vehicle. I have some measurements and more pics at home.

The van is currently at CCV getting a pop-top if you wanted to take a look. I don't need all of the seats and would actually like to get rid of some of them before I drive the van back home.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails
van seats.jpg  
wingate is offline   Reply With Quote