Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #1

Newbie question--RB vs EB

HI folks,
Can anyone tell me the actual length in feet of an EB vs the RB ford vans? I guess maybe it ranges by year (?) but I'm hoping to find a pre-2006 SMB and have been assuming I want RB since I want it to be as compact as possible and easy to park, back, etc.

But I am wondering what the real difference in length might be? I would compare to the different models of the Roadtrek that I believe go from 17-21 feet.

thanks for your help.
Stephanie

catinmoon

catinmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #2

Re: Newbie question--RB vs EB

Stephanie,

Check out the Ford Vans Wikipedia entry. Basic dimensions are in the box on the right.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 11-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #3

Our 1998 Ford EB is around 19'6" from front bumper to back of rear step bumper. A regular rear bumper (non-step) is a few inches shorter, maybe 4" less. So, right around 19 feet.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #4

A Ford EB is not harder to park conventionally than an RB since the wheelbase is the same. It does make a difference parallel parking in crowded ares though.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
A Ford EB is not harder to park conventionally than an RB since the wheelbase is the same. It does make a difference parallel parking in crowded ares though.
Well, an RB more or less fits into your standard WalMart space, while the EB hangs over a bit, taking up some of the space behind you. So it is a bit harder to park, I suppose.

For the OP, in either case I'd recommend a rear-view backup camera. Makes parking in tight spots a LOT easier.

I learned to drive in my dad's old Dodge Maxivan and drove it through much of high school, with no windows at all behind the cab, so to me the Ford isn't too bad at all. But if you don't have much experience with this type of vehicle it can be a bit intimidating at first.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I know it's not what you're asking but figure you'll have 20" of extra storage inside with the EB. It isn't much but does make a difference. If you're after a 4x4, the extended tail can pose a problem but I've found it not to be as bad as one would think. If you want the extra space of the EB (two or four wheel drive) and plan to load it up heavy, you should look for a E-350 with a Full Float axle. Of course YMMV as to what you actually need. Personally I feel it's the limited visibility compared to the length of the vehicle that can pose problems when driving a van. It's a lot like driving a pickup with a camper shell but easy to get used to. JMO

Good luck in your search.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #7

Thanks for all the helpful info and statistics.

To even more fully display my ignorance, when you say the wheelbases are the same, I assume this means the 2 pairs of wheels are the same distance apart and the EB just hangs out more over the back.

For some reason I like the looks of the RB better - it seems more balanced to me. Also, I have a tiny teardrop trailer I may want to pull at times and it seems that I don't want to get too much length going down the road. Right now we pull the TD with a 2006 (I believe) toyota tacoma -- the previous version to the current bigger tacomas, but the tacoma has the "backseat" maybe it's called extended cab so it's pretty long itself. Guess I should get a measure on that.

Stephanie
catinmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinmoon
... when you say the wheelbases are the same, I assume this means the 2 pairs of wheels are the same distance apart and the EB just hangs out more over the back.
Yes - you got it on the wheelbase!

An RB or EB will tow your TD trailer like it isn't there - the extra length for that scenario is going to be negligible. I prefer the 'look' of the RB as well, but having been inside an EB I must say that the extra space is certainly noticeable and significant.

I'm happy to have an RB for parking purposes, as we often have a hitch mounted bike rack on the back. If you won't have anything hanging off the back, there many pickup trucks out there that are about the same length as the EB platform and they seem to park anywhere they want.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #9

I went from an 04 RB to a 2013 EB. Both had aluminess bumpers front and rear. The EB is only slightly harder to parallel park, but rear cameras really help. In parking lots I just take up 2 spots front to rear so the nose or rear isn't sticking out for someone to run into.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Dia

If you like the more balanced look of the Ford RB, you might consider Chevy's EB. Chevy lengthens out the wheelbase so you don't have the long overhang on the Ford. Less overhang makes for a more stable tow rig, too.