Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #1

NEW VW DOUBLEBACK CAMPER, made in (put together) in UK

$86,000? Some interesting ideas in this one
http://tinyurl.com/lmgp2sz

Old 11-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #2

Re: NEW VW DOUBLEBACK CAMPER, made in (put together) in UK

Really cool, but only seats 2 or 3 special ordered? It would be great for 2 light travelers though.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #3

A huge slide-out in a tiny van camper magnifies everything I dislike about campers with slides. They are great for people who stay in one place for long periods so they can enjoy the extra space once set up, but for those who are always on the move like me it accentuates a layout that is highly compromised when the slides are in.

What also doesn’t make sense to me is that this concept seems to be in the middle. Small campers suggest mobility (like Class Bs), but the huge slide-out (for its size) suggest a very deliberate and long setup like much larger campers. It even appears like the slide has to be opened so the penthouse roof can be used. I honestly don’t see much of a market for this van.

Having said that, I see some advantage to the Sprinter-based Class B (forgot the brand) that uses the driver-side door for a slide. I’d just want to see interior pictures with the slide retracted to see how intrusive the slide becomes during travel.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #4

To see the appeal of this design, you have to consider its market and audience. Europeans tend to take long vacations, often driving their campervans to a destination and then basically leaving them parked for a week or more (using public transport or simply staying put at the destination). In any European campground you are likely to see campervans set up with side and rear tents, etc., like a basecamp. Plus, parking is often an issue at their home location and people also may only own one vehicle (hence the popularity of the VW Westfalias. So, I could see people buying this an alternative to a larger motorhome or trailer, but using it in the same way.

That being said, this design doesn't really do too much for me. That long slide looks like it's just waiting to get stuck open or halfway open. It's cool, and a neat engineering concept, but I wouldn't buy one.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote