Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Teeth Send a message via MSN to Teeth Send a message via Yahoo to Teeth
Penthouse top questions!

Hi guys! This is my first post on this forum, figured this to be the best place to find fine SMB knowledge. And I did search for the answers on the forum, sorry if I didn't dig deep enough before posting this.

So first off, I am a big GM van fan.... Particularly the 1973 to 1982, but I am fond of most others as well. I have a 1979 4x4 SWB G30 that I absolutely love, and I spend waaaay too much time dreaming of how to make it my dream rig. One of my biggest wants is a SMB pop top. I like the CCV too but the van almost hits my garage opening already... Not a fan of the GTRV top, and I don't even know if they would try on my van. The big issue is that I just dont have 12+ inches to spare because my flat roof prevents heightening the opening. So here are my questions:

1. Did SMB ever make shorty PH tops for GM vans? They weren't very willing to answer this when I called/emailed them, only that they no longer made a top for my age van.

2. Anyone know somebody who has a pop top 70's or 80's GM, or know where to get specific measurements? Or better yet, have you seen one for sale? I saw a regular wheelbase for sale in CO a few months back and have been kicking myself ever since for not jumping on it while I had the chance. I also saw an orange one in WA that had a similar top, not a SMB but definitely was built to look like one.

3. Separately, does anyone have drawings or other documents detailing the SMB PH construction? Or has anyone dissected one to see the way they are put together? I feel like my wood frame and fiberglass hack attempt would be plenty strong, but also plenty heavy, ugly, loud, etc.

Thanks for any info you have, and if you have one you would consider measuring for me I would appreciate that. Or you could just sell it to me!

1997 4x4 6.5L Chevy Express SMB (project at this point)
1979 4x4 Chevy SWB (never won't be a project)
1998 Dodge Mark III Ram Van (SOLD.. Miss it)
1988 Chevy Get-Away Camper Van (SOLD.. Miss it)
Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #2

Re: Penthouse top questions!

Talk to Derek at CCV. Not to buy a top necessarily, but he can answer your questions about the internal construction of pretty much any top, or any thing for that matter. He also does all sorts of custom tops, including a low profile 'garagable' one. He could probably enlighten you a little bit.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Teeth Send a message via MSN to Teeth Send a message via Yahoo to Teeth
Re: Penthouse top questions!

Hi 86scotty, I did talk to Derek... He was super helpful but he said that the higher top was the only one that would work on my particular van. I looked at the construction pics of his excursion pop top build and its the same as what I would shoot for on a diy build, only mine would look like I built it in my garage I'm sure.

Anyway, CCV looks to be a great product and if I do find a top I hope to get CCV to add the canvas and bells/whistles. I especially like their lift height and their canvas appears to be heavier duty.

1997 4x4 6.5L Chevy Express SMB (project at this point)
1979 4x4 Chevy SWB (never won't be a project)
1998 Dodge Mark III Ram Van (SOLD.. Miss it)
1988 Chevy Get-Away Camper Van (SOLD.. Miss it)
Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote