Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #1

CRL Window install question

This is a question for any of you that have installed your own windows. I'm getting ready to do my awning window install in a E350 cargo van now that the weather is changing. The windows have a foam gasket already attached. Has anyone used an additional sealer like "Window Weld" in addition to the foam gasket? Thanks in advance for any insight or tips you might have.

lonepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #2

Re: CRL Window install question

Yes use rtv silicone. I installed mine today. Hope to water test tomorrow afternoon. Will be posting pics soon on my build thread.
89srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #3

I replaced one after the glass fell out of the frame. SMB did not use any additional sealer on the original install nor did I. The clamping frame seems to suffice. More pictures in my gallery page 3.

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:52 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

I'm in the auto/truck glass biz so hope this adds to the conversation..........

3M's Window-Weld product is one of the sealers you could use for this application. Along with properly treating any exposed or unprotected sheet metal edges left from cutting the opening using this sort of self-healing material would give you many leak free years.

Honestly most of the foam gaskets tend to fail a few years after installation---I've seen very, very few not begin to leak at some point. Keep in mind I live and work in Ohio where our seasons might have some bearing on this. Other climates may have different effects on this type materials, strong sunlight being one that comes to mind.

RTV is good although its not self-healing like the buytl Window-Weld, requires grease and dirt-free mating surfaces and does seem to last almost forever when/if properly applied.

Hope this helps!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. That's the kind of info I was needing. I'll cut in the windows this weekend if the weather holds : - ) Butyl rubber looks like a good choice for our weather extremes here in Utah. Once I figure out how to post photos in lower resolution, I'll start my gallery of the build.
lonepeak is offline   Reply With Quote