Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #1

Garage
RB vs. EB?

Hi, I'm relatively new and still trying to figure out which van to get to convert to a camper. Are there any particular pros or cons (other than the obvious extra space) with the EB? From going through some of the threads, it looks like there can be issues with sagging? If I'm not going to be towing anything, how common of an occurrence is that, and is it something that can be easily fixed?

Thanks!

Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Re: RB vs. EB?

Saggy butt can be fixed with a good set of rear springs, like deavers. Lots of info on the forum about them. I have the RB, do I sometimes wish we had the extra room of the EB when hanging out in it, yes, am I glad I have the RB when off road or using it as a daily driver, definitely. Depends on your intended use and where your travels take you, you can always do what we did and have an off road trailer built to haul all your crap. I think more important is finding a lower milage van in good shape with the right running gear and engine for what you're planning on doing and how much weight you'll be adding to it with the interior build out, gas/diesel 7.3/6.0, V8/V10....
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #3

I haven't been in a many situations where I scraped the rear end on the EB. Nice to have the extra space. Consider also if you're getting a van with a Penthouse roof it is longer too.

It is pretty long for fitting in a regular parking space especially if you have a storage box on the back bumper.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #4

I don't think I could manage with an RB.

Also, you are more likely to get lucky and find a full float axle under an EB van, especially if it's a wagon.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #5

It does seem to be harder to find an RB used.

I wouldn't worry about it. You didn't say you're converting to 4x4, and that's where the RB really makes a difference. Otherwise it's a couple of feet, and I agree with others I need the space inside. I would think that's especially true if you're converting it yourself since smaller is generally harder.

And the sagging is all about weight, not length.

Rob
Old 03-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #6

Had an RB 4x4 for 8 years, now have an EB 4x4 and love the extra room. I too was concerned about the extra length, but I don't do any hardcore off roading so its a non issue for me.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #7

I've had both. You CAN feel the extra weight and length in the handling. RB looks better IMO. RB technically better for towing. Off road the approach angle in the rear is significantly compromised. Especially when the rig weighs 12000 lbs. when it's stuck, ITS STUCK!! The extra room is good on my EB. That seems to be the only positive.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.whitbread
I've had both. You CAN feel the extra weight and length in the handling. RB looks better IMO. RB technically better for towing. Off road the approach angle in the rear is significantly compromised. Especially when the rig weighs 12000 lbs. when it's stuck, ITS STUCK!! The extra room is good on my EB. That seems to be the only positive.
I agree with everything you posted but are the beds (PH and lower) any different in length?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #9

Yes, you can get a longer PH with the EB. I forget how much extra we got but I really like having the extra room "up top."
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
It does seem to be harder to find an RB used.

Rob
That must be a location thing. It took me many more months to find an EB. If you need the interior space EB's the only way to go. Space is the reason I bought a van vs. a Suburban or Excursion.
89srule is offline   Reply With Quote