Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2014, 11:32 PM   #1

Drivers side 2nd row window in a cargo van

Unfortunately I cannot take credit for installing the window in my van, it was already there when I bought it, but I can give you some photos of it installed, and walk you through adding the opening mechanisms.

here was the van as I bought it, with a metal bar holding the windows shut.

This worked for me, it was nice to be able to see out that window when merging or changing lanes. I am sure that I would have crashed into someone without it. But with summer approaching it has become time to open it up.

I spent some time scouring the yards and found two different styles of window opening mechanisms, from two different eras. Initially I just brought home the newer style, but they would not work on my cargo van. The "seat" where the base rests was not large enough to use them. So I went back out and found the older two screw style and they work.

The hole for the window is the same size as you would find in a window van. So if you are going to install a window like this, go to a junkyard and remove one. That will be the best way to learn how they go in. Then make a cardboard cutout of the opening and get some reference measurements from the existing van on how to center the hole for the cut.

You will need the window, the exterior seal and track that the seal is inside, the mounting bolts and nuts that go through the body, and then these window mechanisms with some screws to attach them.

The difference that I see with my van and probably all vans that didn't originally come with a window is that the metal is not stamped in to make the window mount flush with the body. This presents two differences from a stock window. It will stick out a little, and you will need to use some sort of filler between the interior and exterior skins of the van. In my van they used a piece of window seal in between the two pieces of metal and then covered it with a strip of black duct tape before they installed the exterior window trim/seal and window.

you will also note from the picture that the bolts and nuts holding the window frame and seal in are longer than the ones that you will take out of the junkyard van. You will need to take the stock ones to a fastener store and find a suitable longer replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
window1.JPG   window2.JPG   window7.JPG  

hammerhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:42 PM   #2

Re: Drivers side 2nd row window in a cargo van

so once all the hard work of getting the window cut and mounted is done, here is the process that I used to mount the opening hardware.

I screwed the window hardware into the window nut just a couple turns.

The reason for this is so that when you have it mounted you will have ample adjustment to tighten up the seal so that it doesn't leak.

So i have it attached with just a couple turns and then I made sure the mechanism was clicked closed and I pulled with a little pressure on it and the window, in towards me to get it in a proper position to drill and install the screws.

While I was holding it like this I drilled the holes and then used some self threading screws that were a little larger than the hole I drilled and tightened them down by hand. The metal is fairly thin here so I didn't reef on them extremely hard for fear of them stripping. This brings up a concern that potentially in the future I may need to install a rivnut or something similar to what I used on the grab bar installation for greater pulling force. Time will tell if it holds. Also make sure that you only drill through one layer of metal, and not through the outer skin.
Attached Thumbnails
window4.JPG   window6.JPG   window5.JPG  
Old 05-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #3

Repeat the process for the next mechanism. Try to keep them aligned so that they are not working against each other when you are opening the window, its not crucial to the degree, but way out of whack would be bad and look bad.

Then open it up and enjoy the airflow.

If when they are closed, you have a gap like this in the picture below then you need to unscrew the hardware that you just installed and turn the mechanism in a few turns till the gap disappears.

Then admire your handywork and go for a drive!

Initial notes on how it works. The wall of the van is a little flexible here compared to the door. This is because its not attached to the outside, stamped and sealed together like in the slider door, or a window van. This causes it to move a little more than the one in the slider door when you are driving with it open.

I tested it out driving up to 60mph and it performed fine, didn't move too much and the airflow when at normal speeds around town was improved. Cooled me down nicely, and it will help when the fantastic fan goes in for airflow.

It also does not open as far as the passenger side window. I think this is because the mechanism has to be mounted so far in(window not set flush), and the older style might not have as much throw as the newer style.
Attached Thumbnails
window8.JPG   window10.JPG   window11.JPG  
Old 05-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #4

Sorry that these pictures are not oriented correctly, I will fix them tomorrow when I have more time.