Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #1

Where to buy Racks, Ladders, Light Bars, Interior, ETC...

Hi forums,

After many truck builds, I have wanted to build an off road sports mobile type van for awhile. I bought a 2013 E350 Ford 12 Passenger Van just a few weeks ago. I had an Action Van Suspension lift kit installed and I had 17 inch black Ultra rims instead of the stock 16 inch rims and Nitto 33 inch Trail Grapplers installed. The van now gets lots of looks and positive comments without adding on all the fun stuff yet.

First thing I have noticed is their is not a lot of companies that sell accessories like roof racks, ladders, light bars, ETC...for the van. I know this drives prices higher since their is no competition.

Any suggestions on companies other than Aluminess and SB-Defender and any Interior companies that carry stuff?
Would like to get a roof rack, light bar, lights, mud flaps and other parts. I will start on the interior next year.
I have looked all over the net and not to happy with the results

I am in Southern California and any suggestions would help.

P.S. I tried searching on the forums already.. Any newer up to date suggestions would be great

Thanks,
Tony

Windows blacked out, Grill done
More to come
Tonyb98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #2

Re: Where to buy Racks, Ladders, Light Bars, Interior, ETC.

If you're in CA you are pretty close to most of the aftermarket stuff already (Aluminess, SMB, etc.), but I know what you mean. Most companies don't support the vans, or they used to and don't anymore. I would say that most SMB folks fall in to two camps. The first have/spend a lot of $$$ to have someone like Aluminess or SMB make whatever they need. Other sources for this are probably Van Specialties (Oregon), or one of the suspension companies that you are probably already familiar with (Agile Offroad/Ujoint). Many will custom make almost any part for you for a price (racks, ladders, etc.), many more than may be listed on a website or catalog. The other camp would be frugal wannabe's like myself and probably most home builders, who just build or mod whatever they need from the available truck parts available, or by just buying a welder and copying something they've seen. On this I'm speaking mostly of exterior stuff.
As for interior stuff, there are many cool upgrades and parts available from Discount Van Truck, a lot of the online Marine places (lighting, hardware, etc.), and some of the companies that cater more to the truck camper/small camper world than the big motorhome or 5th wheel types, such as Panther RV.
Derek at Colorado Camper Van is a good source of info too, and he can build about anything inside or out, if Colorado or shipping is convenient for you. Beware, he stays backed up though.
Sorry to ramble on, but all of that said, the best source of info for any particular thing you're wanting to upgrade is to just search here or at the Expedition Portal, where just about everything has been figured out by someone.

Good luck and welcome,
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the info Scotty. Yes Im not to good at anything mechanical. So building stuff on my own is not to likely, lol... But you have given some good info so I hope to have some stuff built and will buy some.

Thank you
More to come
Old 07-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #4

Don't forget the always on Aluminess deal
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10534

and these just popped up:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14067

You've got to be quick on the button for a used Aluminess ladder.

Also there was some discussion on front F-series bumpers fitting the front of the E-series... never really saw confirmation or refutation of that.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #5

Garage

U-Joint Offroad front bumper is really great if you like something a bit more aggressive...
Old 07-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #6

Thanks guys.. Been watching out for used stuff. Missed a few things because I didn't check the ads on CL or here fast enough.

Is there another forum group for vans besides this one???
More to come
Old 07-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #7

Expedition Portal, 2 and 4wd vs and section.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #8

Thank you
More to come
Old 07-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #9

Sure, the vans section over at Ford Truck Enthusiasts is pretty helpful too for repair and general advice on Ford vans. There are some really sharp guys on FTE, but a few jerks too so don't get offended too quickly over there.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/