Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #1

bed liner instead of sound deadening

so i have a good friend who owns a bedliner company, and ive been tossing around the idea of having the floor of my van sprayed, instead of applying sound deadening of sorts before i build out the interior.

my thought is that it would add mass to the floor which would help with vibrations, and be more durable until i can do the final interior build out.

are there any down sides to doing this? I have an EB cargo van with the 6.0 diesel so it can get "loud" although in the current state, the sound doesnt bother me as i have slight hearing loss from working around F/A-18's, but others have mentioned its rather loud inside.

i would obviously pull body bolts out so they dont get sprayed over, and plug any threaded holes in the floor.

eric3187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:08 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: bed liner instead of sound deadening

Not sure if its necessarily any easier or cheaper but for the floor I'd highly recommend nothing more than a single layer of 3/4" plywood. I dare say for this use its darn near perfect.

Not only does it fill the need as a floor its mass or density alone does a tremendous job of attenuating noise that comes through the floor. As an experiment lay several 4x8' sheets of it in the back and drive around---you'll be pleasantly surprised.

There's no reason to add layers of material to the floor because this single step does so much. As you'll probably add carpet or other covering material and that heat rises single pieces of plywood cut to fit the floor does just about everything needed.

While the bedliner would be great for uses where plywood flooring wasn't needed or desired not sure for a camper/RV-type use its your best option. That being said it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider applying it to the bare side walls. This would be another huge sound deadening step---if its cheap enough check into that maybe.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3187
so i have a good friend who owns a bedliner company, and ive been tossing around the idea of having the floor of my van sprayed, instead of applying sound deadening of sorts before i build out the interior.

my thought is that it would add mass to the floor which would help with vibrations, and be more durable until i can do the final interior build out.

.....cut......
I had a very large steel box for my van's drop floor lined on inside and outside and it made a huge difference on sound. Before lining if I tapped it with a tool it sounded like a drum with very little attenuation, and after lining it sounded like a thud with no echo. I had both sides lined because it was as inexpensive as having the outside primed and painted. After eight or nine years it's still holding up fine. The inside still looks like when new. The lining also provides some insulation value, although I expect it's not much unless compared to bare metal.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #4

I'm looking at an internal layer of bedliner. Anxious to hear more info from folks who have done it.
ohpyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #5

i can give a little update on what i am now doing. while it would have been cheaper for me to have my friend bedliner the floor of the van, today i bought 4 gallons of Lizard Skin Sound Control as well as 4 Gallons of Lizard Skin Ceramic Insulation. with the mixer, and spray gun it came out to 649.50 for materials.

Talking to my friends who have used this on offroad builds such as jeeps, 1st gen cummins trucks and other vehicles, they said sound is significantly reduced and radiant heat is kept under control.

I am spraying the sound control tomorrow after i get home from school and work. then it needs about 24hrs to fully cure and then will spray the ceramic insulation.

The guy i purchased it all from said that it needs to be covered as it will wear through if left uncovered and walked on/gear slid on/off of.
So i also purchased the Bedrug VRF92X VanRug Cargo Van Mat (This is for the extended cargo van), to cover the rear area and will be going to the junk yard to find a factory carpet section for the front section.

i will have everything wrapped up by saturday evening and will report back my findings. i also have the front doors inner skin and outer skin covered with FatMat 50mil thick deadener.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:14 AM   #6

Any updates? I looked into the DIY Lizard skin but haven't followed through yet. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/show ... p?t=511370
At $10-$15 a gallon I figured it would be worth a shot and provide a barrier for other layers. I also have some second skin products as well. Still debating on using the plywood or not although my floor isn't perfect near the rear so I may need to do something to help make it all even. I have a bedrug for the passenger area as well.
89srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89srule
Any updates? I looked into the DIY Lizard skin but haven't followed through yet. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/show ... p?t=511370
At $10-$15 a gallon I figured it would be worth a shot and provide a barrier for other layers. I also have some second skin products as well. Still debating on using the plywood or not although my floor isn't perfect near the rear so I may need to do something to help make it all even. I have a bedrug for the passenger area as well.
van has been sprayed for a while now, i put a bed rug carpet kit over it, HUGE difference in noise level from the diesel.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:32 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Any project turning out better than anticipated is always a good thing. Nothing better than taming that road and engine noise in one of our vans.

While I'm glad Eric is satisfied I wonder out loud if the real end results are worth the $650 spent? Considering these same results can be achieved with three sheets of 3/4" plywood economically it doesn't make much sense.

Just my opinion based upon my own practice of using plywood as a floor which does greatly reduce rear area noises.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote