Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 05:31 PM   #1

New to Sportsmobile

Hi Everyone,
I have some questions about how I can begin the process of choosing my model for my sportsmobile. The videos I have seen are using the Ford E series that was discontinued. I looked at the transit vans and they look much smaller, and I am not sure if that's going to be what I want. I'm looking for a full sized diesel camper with all bells and whistles, spacious for my family while we travel. I am a photographer and this vehicle fits my lifestyle perfectly. My pops was a huge fan of the VW camper buses and if he were alive today he would love this thing.
Do you guys have any advice for a newby starting out on what model van is the best bet economically now 2014 to get rigged up?
Thanks in advance =)

zealflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: New to Sportsmobile

I'm not sure if SMB is still taking orders on vans they have or can find in stock. SMB is doing a van on a cut away frame you might want to look at.
As far as style or model that is totally up to you. If you want to shoot from inside the van I would ask for all 5 PH windows to have screens that open provided a pop top van is what you want. Decide if you'll have a use for shooting from on top of the van.

The 50 model has quite a bit of storage and if you can sleep in the PH, the lower bed supplies more storage.

I've seem some nice hard top voyager models
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7172

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #3

Yes the pop top is a must, shooting from the top and having all access to viewpoints will be huge. The Voyager link is great, looks just like I have imagined after watching some videos. Is the Voyager a Ford E model?
Old 08-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #4

Is that Voyager a Ford 2010 E ?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Yes, but if you're looking to shoot out of the inside of the van a PH model might be a better choice. The PH has more room for sleeping on top and the windows are fairly big. There have been times where shooting pictures from the PH bed is possible and the reasons to have screens that fully open all the way around. The Voyager tops have smaller windows but there are a few pro photographers on the site to better answer about shooting from a van that own hard tops.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #6

I hope you are not looking at the Transit Connect. It is a much smaller vehicle than the Transit that is just out.

Paul
Old 08-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
Site Team

You can still get a pop top on a Sprinter van.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/2_sr-penthouse.html

Herb
Old 08-31-2014, 12:20 AM   #8

We are photographers, too, so definitely get the option to have all 5 windows with the zip open screens. Ours has 3, and it's not enough.

With the top down, you can use the top of the van as a tripod platform. I think PH's are rated for 200 lbs or so. I am a little over that limit before I add the weight of the camera, but haven't had an issue the couple times I've used it. Just step carefully, and add some grippy skateboard tape to the top.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:58 AM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographix
I think PH's are rated for 200 lbs or so. I am a little over that limit before I add the weight of the camera, but haven't had an issue the couple times I've used it. Just step carefully, and add some grippy skateboard tape to the top.
Hey Photographix, I was at SMB west when they did a photo shoot with 10+ people up top, so I would worry about more than one person on top. I just would be careful about the gel-coat. I'm a big guy and putting my knee on it made a cracking noise. I was told it's the material in the top. Anyway a good Aluminess rack similar to mine would solve that. But you are correct on when the top is up, 200 is about the limit I've been told.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:51 AM   #10

Garage

Hi, Spend some time online searching for 2008-2009 Ford 350 6.0 diesel Extended Van, gives more space and 6.0 diesel can be improved, search problems with 6.0 diesel, search 4x4 converters(Quigley, Advanced 4x4Systems & Sportsmobile), research layout, storage, interior & exterior options, look for vans already converted, take your time, I looked for 14 months, post here, ask questions, good luck!
EB50 most popular layout. Go to www.overlandexpo.com to see quite a few and check them out.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote