Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #1

Where to buy passenger van window "cages"?

I'm looking for wire (or other) window "cages" for just the side windows of my 15 passenger van. More specifically, just the largest windows (2nd from the rear.) I know I've seen sets for prisoner transport vans, but they cover all of the windows and cost ~$1300! The wire type cages like you often see in the barn side/rear doors of a cargo van would work if I could find them for the large side windows. The goal is to prevent motorcycle handlebars from contacting a side window during an unforeseen offhighway event and remove any potential of busting out a window during loading/ unloading. Does anybody know of a source for these so I don't have to make my own?

This is what I'm hoping to prevent (not mine):

TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #2

Re: Where to buy passenger van window "cages"?

We used to use plywood painted black, or just plywood inside limo-tinted windows. Your idea is probably much higher class and will be transparent too. Another idea would be thick plexiglass inside the glass. I'll be curious to see what you come up with here.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #3

Yea, I'm avoiding anything that completely blocks out the window (even though I have 2 layers of limo tint on there already) since we occasionally put another row of seats back there. I've seen fencing material much like what those portable dog kennels are made out of, but I do want it to look like it was purpose built, not my own hack job!

As you see it in this picture I have seating for 5 people and 4 bikes and things get mighty close in the cargo area with gear bags etc. I know I could just pull my trailer but that's another 1500+ lbs and I'd be stuck going 55 on the freeway:

Old 09-22-2014, 04:28 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

I've toyed with---and semi-successfully succeeded---applying 1/8" clear Lexan inside my side and rear barn doors, more for anti-intrusion break-in's etc. Being in the auto glass biz most owners are wise to try preventing breaks such as shown in that photo---we're talking big bucks for brand new replacement of the larger pieces.

My method gives unrestricted view but because they're mounted so close to the glass something like a handlebar would most likely still break the glass, Lexan flexes that much at least in the thicknesses I've used. 1/4" might be rigid enough but a piece 36" or so long would still flex enough in the middle to come awfully close to the glass during a handle bar-type deflection. Lexan is relatively expensive and not all that durable for automotive uses--it scratches far too easily.

I'd look to law enforcement equipment type sites----there might be something less prison-like used in low or minimum security transfer vans readily available.

Tough call this one---utility driven and ugly or unprotected and susceptible to pesky loose handlebars.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #5

This is a full kit, but maybe you can call them and order single replacement panels?
http://www.fleetsafety.com/ford-e-se...vis-1994-2013/
Old 09-29-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
Site Team

As an alternative could you put padded "socks" on the end of your handlebars when they are being transported? Something made from the type of tube foam insulation for pipes.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #7

The "sock" idea might work for a light tap, but I'm more concerned with events like unexpected "airtime" from those whoops I didn't see, a strap breaking, or a hard side to side jostle like happens when crossing a ditch diagonally at speed. The bikes are tied in quite securely, but those close call moments could turn into a big deal if a window got smacked.

CarringB: Those are the exact cages I had seen, but now that I look closer, they may be too close to the side glass still. Something more like the ones for the rear windows that leave several inches between the glass and the screen would be ideal.

I'm not in a huge hurry, but the wheels are turning.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:40 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ

CarringB: Those are the exact cages I had seen, but now that I look closer, they may be too close to the side glass still. Something more like the ones for the rear windows that leave several inches between the glass and the screen would be ideal.

I'm not in a huge hurry, but the wheels are turning.
Those are very nice screens but as you mention they're still too close to the glass. I also notice those shown in the link have openings for swing-out glass which could allow a handlebar to hit the glass. While perhaps that's an extraordinary possibility it would question how effective those would be if the swing-out glass wasn't installed.

As you mention LetterJ the rear window covers would be great if the same mounting scheme could be had. Several metal suppliers have perforated steel sheeting that could be cut and trimmed out to mount against that inner horizontal body rib and upper roof reinforcement. By using something like a rivet nuts such home made panels could be made to be quick install/removal.

The catalogs for perforated sheet metal show a lot of attractive designs including round or square holes of various sizes. Ranging from very tiny up to quite large in diameter something should be available that would be effective and not too prisoner transfer-like.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #9

I'm just going to bump this thread being that I had a close call on Sunday while hauling 2 bikes down ~40 miles of forest road... ironically the bar end whacked the window when a strap shifted while loading the second bike It just scraped off the window tint, but it scared the crap out of me!

Anybody converted a prisoner transport van recently and have some cages they'd like to get rid of?
Old 06-09-2015, 10:11 PM   #10

No other meaningful input here except that Lexan is a brand name for polycarbonate.............
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote